adding new color to a breed

pokey

Warrior Princess
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
upstate
If you want to introduce a new color like speckled Sussex to another breed that color does not exist in what color of the opposite breed would you start with if nothing like mottled or columbian exist?

You didn't say what breed of bird you were trying to breed the color into. You can try a sussex rooster over your hens and then breed him back to his daughters.

There are 'lavender' orpingtons and 'lavender' Ameraucanas, There are Rhode Island Whites, could there be Rhode Island Lavenders????

Why would the breed matter if the color does not exist.you would be adding it to the breed from scratch.

Quote:
Becuase we need to know what breed you are talking about so we know what colors do exist in the breed to tell you which would be the best to use and what would be the best to breed with it to add the mottled red columbian color.

I have wyandottes. I think it would be harder to introduce a new color to a bird with lacing than a solid. Or in the case of some wyandottes there's the andalusan blue gene which has a splash, black and dark blue. I bred olive eggers last year using EEs and welsummers. All the chicks had yellow legs. A surprise to me. I thought I could sex them by leg color or combs. Not true on both occasions. Good luck and have fun.

Well first, "Speckled Sussex" isn't a color. What you're asking is if you could add spangling to another breed. . . Then the question is, what breed? You'd need to start with a breed who has enough similarities, both type and color, to have it work.
wink.png

I have wyandottes. I think it would be harder to introduce a new color to a bird with lacing than a solid. Or in the case of some wyandottes there's the andalusan blue gene which has a splash, black and dark blue. I bred olive eggers last year using EEs and welsummers. All the chicks had yellow legs. A surprise to me. I thought I could sex them by leg color or combs. Not true on both occasions. Good luck and have fun.

Leg color and comb type are not sex-linked traits, in any case.​

Well I noticed there is nothing like the ss coloring in araucana or ameraucana.

Quote:
Actually there is. There are Millie Fleur Araucanas. You have to consider, Araucanas are pretty rare and not talked of often, so most people aren't even aware of the colors they come in. They don't have many recognized ones at all, but there are quite a few unrecognized colors.

Back
Top Bottom