adding new eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by key west chick, Nov 8, 2008.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I got 6 more Kiki eggs today. I have 2 eggs already on day 8. Only one incubator. No problem adding the eggs but what do I do with the first 2 in a few weeks? I'll need to up the humidity and stop the turner. I guess I could hand turn the last few days but what about the difference in humidity? Anyway I can make a cheap hatcher for the 2? How would I do it and what would I need?

2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Some people hatch in the bator with newer eggs, but I've never done that. Do a search for homemade bators, a hatcher would be essentially the same building process and materials. Some people hatch at a lower humidity than others too. I hope someone else has some good feedback for you. Good luck!

3. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I just did this the eggs were 1 week apart. I just hand turned and the humidity didn't hurt the others. Not sure if its normal but didn't bother mine.

4. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I have done the same thing that willowcol did. My babies were just fine. Good Luck and let us know. DJ [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. VettekLisa

VettekLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    Hale, Missouri
    I used an old fish aquarium that I had on hand as my hatcher.
    It was easy to keep the humidity up, and the lights in the hood
    kept the heat up.

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I was wondering about a fish tank. I have one thats about 3 gallons we used as a sick tank. Also have a heat strip left over from our snake. Thinking that will be best, only have 2 eggs anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by