1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding new hen to 2 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CKNNWBEE, Oct 3, 2012.

1. CKNNWBEE

CKNNWBEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2012
    Hello, please advise. Will a stranger hen raise these chicks. Like keep them warm, watch over them?

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    If a hen is at the very end of her broody cycle and has been sitting on eggs you can sometimes trick her into thinking she hatched the chicks if they are only a day old. Silkie hens can sometimes but convinced to mother anything.

But, in most cases this will not work and the hens will peck and bully the little ones. Best to keep them apart until they are closer in size.

3. CKNNWBEE

Oct 2, 2012
    I was hoping that a 'mother hen' would just want to mother these ones, but they are two weeks and its not a Silkie.

Thank you.

4. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    You can always put them together in a very controlled and supervised setting and she how she reacts. I kind doubt she will but you can see.

5. CKNNWBEE

Oct 2, 2012
    This hen would be unknown to us too, and I am an overcautious new 'mommy'.

6. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I wouldn't do it. Just use a warming light to keep them warm. Make sure they have room to get away from the heat if they need to so they can't get overheated.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  7. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    As a precaution, any new birds added to your flock should be quarantined away from your existing birds for a minimum of 30 days (45 days is better). I wouldn't put the hen in wth your little ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by