Adding new pullets to the flock

hannahbear

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 24, 2017
Gig Harbor, WA
Hello All, I just had one of my girls pass away from being egg bound. So now I am down to two hens. I ordered some 4 week old chicks to supplement my flock. I'd like some advice on how to integrate the girls once it's time. I'm planning on waiting until they're at least 7 weeks before transitioning them outside. My plan is to divide the run so that they can see each other but be separated. How long should I let them acclimate? When I do let them out together, should it be only for a couple hours or do I just do it and monitor? Both my girls are pretty bossy so I'm worried about aggression. Any advice is appreciated!

You're on the right track ... I would acclimate them to the outside temps sooner (4wks) putting them out during the warm hours of the day, make sure there's no draft maybe a huddle box, returning them to their brooder in the evenings. Separating the run is great idea but only you can determine the amount of time, it could take as long as a month. Only you know your chickens and there to observe.

Sorry to hear of your loss :hugs

At four weeks, they are more than ready to be outside, and as they are smaller, the older hens tend not to be quite as territorial.

I like a one way gate in the fence you use to separate them. I have had very good results with 3 week old chicks and a lattice panel. The chicks can go through it like water. The thing with the one way gate, is the flock determines when it will work out, not you making a guess. Chicks learn proper chicken society.

When you take them out of the brooder, they are not use to that much space, so they tend to stay close to what they know. If they have been in a rubber tote, just set the same tote on its side, away from the prevailing wind. Let your big girls out in the yard out of the run a couple hours before dark. If a chick does wander through the one way gate, give them a little chase, so they recognize a safety zone. Take them back inside over night. Let the big girls out for a bit in the morning, leaving chicks in their safety zone, let the big girls into the run, and things should be ok.

Always have multiple feed stations, hide outs, multiple waters, pallets up agains walls or up on a single layer of bricks, where chicks can escape to safety.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom