Adding new pullets to young flock

KatieRice

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
Shaftsbury, VT
This is my first year raising chickens, I have 5 four month old chickens - 1 cockerel (Wyandotte), 4 pullets (2 Orpington, 2 Lakenvelder). We've lost 4 Orpingtons to a fox when we were letting them free range so they're now confined to their coop and medium sized run. We are going to a swap this weekend and I've just reserved 7 two month old buff Orpingtons. I'm wondering how to integrate them. I know I should have a separate run and coop so they can still see each other and get used to each other but I'm wondering if people have pictures or ideas on how to make this integration simple and easy! Thanks!

The most important thing will be the quarantine time. You will want to make sure they are not carrying anything into your flock disease or pest. Before you buy the chickens you will want to do an initial exam for mites or lice and any foot issues as well as nose and eyes at least. It will save you a lot of heartache if you find issues BEFORE you buy them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...often-underestimated-part-of-raising-chickens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Both of these articles are really good places to start learning what to do and possibly more important is what NOT to do.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Many many great articles have been written and posted in the learning center.

Sadly it sounds like you found out about predators the hard way.

A wire dog crate is what I use. I don't currently have a photo of that, however I would highly recommend you keep your birds away from one another for 30 days to watch for signs of illness and possibly treat them if you notice something.

Then generally I will use a "see but no touch" method by placing the new birds in a separate cage/crate within my girls run.

I'm hoping to do the same this week. I need a temporary shelter for my new birds quarantine. Any ideas that aren't difficult to assemble? Husband says he doesn't have time to construct anything:(

Check Craiglist for crates. We see them here off and on. There is also a hoop run pen. They are easy to make and can have part covered with a tarp for shade/ shelter.

If you can get a crate to use as a house and put it inside a hoop run that would be very efficient and cost effective.

This hoop run on one of my coops was super easy to make. It has 2x6's for the base and chicken wire over the run. I added a shade cloth for them from Lowes.
I used 2 cattle panels to make a 9 foot x 8 foot run.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to do the same this week. I need a temporary shelter for my new birds quarantine. Any ideas that aren't difficult to assemble? Husband says he doesn't have time to construct anything:(

I too would recommend the hoop coops designs, lots of instructions for building them online and very cost effective. You can even make a mini hoop coop out of PVC pipe that could also be used during their introductions and their quarantine.

Back
Top Bottom