Adding older peafowl couple

- Update -
I added the new couple and everyone’s getting along just fine.
I also added fence tension wire from post to post. I won like 3 to 6 feet in height because the net was drooping. The pen looks way bigger and better with a higher ceiling . Thank you ...

Ok , i will . Thanks for the info . I had one of my Greenhouses fly off onto it one day and it stood strong. Net didn’t even rip. It broke and bent everything before getting to the pen and decided to rest on the net. I added a couple more poles after. I will reinforce it more, you never know. Thanks...View attachment 2071150
I live in MN and have not had problems with snow on the flight pens because it either falls through or slides off. Even your cloth netting should be fine as ours is. Your males should be fine as we have had three mature cocks of different broods in smaller areas together. It is hard in MN to find any females for sale that's not in a pair and the males are generally grateful for what they get, lol.

Way down here in Kansas the wet sticky snow does not fall through but accumulates on the netting, if we do not go out and beat the netting the weight will pull it down. Ice storms are even worse, just ask Sid at Texas Peafowl, or Brad Legg. Last year they both lost about 1/3 of their pens and many birds got away when the netting came crashing down.

Here in France, it’s the other way around . Every one wants Males... I went and bought a couple and the lady gave me another female for free because no one really wants them.
My net was kinda strong but it’s better reinforced. I thought peafowl stay in their area . Free range and come back ??? I’m paranoid so I built a big pen and am not going to let them free range . And I don’t want them eating my neighbors vegetable garden . lol ...

November snow. It is hard work knocking the snow off of 30 pens netting.
IMG_5813.JPG

Great job on the work ! The tension on the net looks perfect. :thumbsup
The support cable/wire, is it in polypropylene or metal ? Because I was going to buy a support cable in polypropylene from where they sell and for nets, but I bought metal fence tension cable instead from a hardware store. I had told myself that it is easier tensioning it and stronger.

I just happened to have a lot of leftover Kevlar rope from a business I sold years ago. I think that the metal wire is heavy and will sag but I have not tried it. Also the guy wires will pull on the posts so make sure you don't tension them too tight or have good bracing on the posts.

Here in France, it’s the other way around . Every one wants Males... I went and bought a couple and the lady gave me another female for free because no one really wants them.
My net was kinda strong but it’s better reinforced. I thought peafowl stay in their area . Free range and come back ??? I’m paranoid so I built a big pen and am not going to let them free range . And I don’t want them eating my neighbors vegetable garden . lol ...
Well, maybe the French are more practical than Americans who have mini businesses for everything. 😂Even though most people want males for beauty, everyone is trying to breed them and make profit, so they try to keep as many hens as they can for breeding. It's pretty inflated because many basic India blue colors are bred and sold, and the newer colors aren't available around here, so no one buys them.

Back
Top Bottom