Adding onto run

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
Hey y’all, I currently have a 5’x8’ run. I have three hens right now but want to add two more. I want to add onto my run so my chickens have a little more space. Does anyone have any ideas on how i could build on? I was thinking of just making it longer.

Attachments

• 5718F003-BD78-4555-B3E8-944E4E518F51.jpeg
    5718F003-BD78-4555-B3E8-944E4E518F51.jpeg
    584.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 0D13B445-484D-4C22-88C1-D141389A4D32.jpeg
    0D13B445-484D-4C22-88C1-D141389A4D32.jpeg
    720.8 KB · Views: 21
yep, fairly straighforward, then just cut out one panel, the coop looks big enough for 5
The coop is currently 4’x5’, in one of my other posts someone said the coop is too small for 5 and i should add on. But my chickens don’t really go in there during the day time, only at night to sleep. I’m hoping i can only add onto the run and keep the coop the same size!

Hey y’all, I currently have a 5’x8’ run. I have three hens right now but want to add two more. I want to add onto my run so my chickens have a little more space. Does anyone have any ideas on how i could build on? I was thinking of just making it longer.

For 5 chickens you need at least 50 square feet of run -- which would be 5x10. But since your coop is already tight for that many chickens and since integration requires more than this minimum space (and a means of housing the new birds in a see-don't-touch situation for a couple weeks), you should aim for a more generous space.

While opening the end and expanding the length is the easiest build, you *might* run into a problem with dominant birds guarding their territory and subordinate birds unable to pass around them in the narrow, 5' space. Therefore, if you can both expand the length and the width you'd be able to head off some potential issues.

You'll also want room to add some "clutter" to your run so that the new chickens have places to get away and room to have at least one additional feeder and waterer that are out of sight of the other feeder and waterer. :)

Some useful articles on integration:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/adding-to-your-flock.47756/

The Cluttered Run thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/21588571

If I was doing it, I'd likely make the run extension a separate structure that gets attached to the end panel of your existing setup, so it's sorta a modular design with three sections (coop, run1, run2). Thinking just use 4x8 dimensions for simple lumber math, either inline or perpendicular to current layout. Extension will simply screw onto the existing structure so it stays modular for easy moving. To keep with the modular theme, I'd probably leave the existing HC on that existing run and use doorways that I can close off between them.
Good luck!

But since your coop is already tight for that many chickens and since integration requires more than this minimum space (and a means of housing the new birds in a see-don't-touch situation for a couple weeks), you should aim for a more generous space.
Ditto Dat!

But my chickens don’t really go in there during the day time, only at night to sleep.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1628624547468.png

While opening the end and expanding the length is the easiest build, you *might* run into a problem with dominant birds guarding their territory and subordinate birds unable to pass around them in the narrow, 5' space. Therefore, if you can both expand the length and the width you'd be able to head off some potential issues.
x2. If possible, even though it's more work, go wider more than going longer. 5-6' is about the distance of a chicken's personal space bubble, so if a low ranked bird tries to pass by a higher ranked bird that doesn't want it there, there might be a chase or an attack. By making the run wider it gives lower ranked birds more leeway to get by and around the run.

Back
Top Bottom