Adding protein during a molt

Because there's really no hard numbers, unless you go to meat production type scenarios. Bumping up the protein during molt is good, especially if it's animal protein.
The best recommendation I've seen is to feed some mackerel canned in water(@ChickenCanoe ?).
Don't think you need for a specific amount each day per bird, just toss some out a couple times a week. Watch the fat and salt content in stuff like cat food, even mealworms are fatty.
Thanks!

Give your chicken some cat food. I see you have cats and you can see I do also.
Just give them some of it and when they stop eating, it is just the right amount. Your chickens will not Overdose on protein from cat food. My chickens eat cat food whenever they can get their beaks onto some... :gig
A slight drawback to chickens getting TOO MUCH protein result in runnier than usual stools and somewhat smellier.

Eat the sardines yourself.:thumbsup I LUV sardines :drool
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Thanks for the heads up!

My son's deer hunt, I often bag up the scraps and occasionally throw out a chunk. I want it gone the next day, and it generally is. I knew an old chicken lady, and when her husband trapped varmints, she would put the carcass in there. She said it kept them from pecking each other. If hers got to pecking each other, that is what she did. She kept a lot of birds, in a much smaller confinement than I would, but it worked for her.

I use dry cat food for my Chickens and Ducks during molt. Not every day though. A couple times a week. They devour it...I feed a fish based dry cat food.
Really that easy? I'll have to try that tonight. I've not gotten an egg out of them in several weeks~ Oh, and a question.. do you know if they are calm enough during molting to introduce one of my chickens back into the flock?

I've not gotten an egg out of them in several weeks
Don't expect egg production to resume any time quickly. The second factor besides the molt, is the decreased daylight. Chickens do take a break from laying, as part of their natural cycle.
If you have sexlink, or white leghorn chickens,,,,, (both high egg producing breeds) Then egg production may resume sooner.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Not Really.
Go easy on cat food, it's very high in fat and salt.
Hi, I remember my husband giving the chickens raw pork (I cut it up, that is why I knew about it) during molting. IS it safe to give them hamburger while they are molting? Should I cook it or give it to them raw? .. .been searching for an hour and i can't seem to find an answer -- thanks. Never thought about salt in cat food.
What about soft cat food as a treat during molting? I think I'm going to be reading this site end to end this winter. What I don't know about chickens could fill a library! :caf

Hi, I remember my husband giving the chickens raw pork (I cut it up, that is why I knew about it) during molting. IS it safe to give them hamburger while they are molting? Should I cook it or give it to them raw? .. .been searching for an hour and i can't seem to find an answer -- thanks. Never thought about salt in cat food.
What about soft cat food as a treat during molting? I think I'm going to be reading this site end to end this winter. What I don't know about chickens could fill a library! :caf
Don't worry about whatever little salt there may be present in cat food. My chickens have been consuming it always, and ALL MY CHICKENS LIVE LONG LIVES.
If you have doubts, come and visit them here.:highfive: So my salt consuming chickens were able to live, 13 years, (my oldest) and my current living RIR is 9 years now. If the trace salt was to finish them off, then I have no answer why they still lived??? :idunno,, You could give your chickens meat if you want. I think personally you would be better off firing up the grill, and have that hamburger with bacon for yourself. Give them what you just cant finish your self because you are full.

I have rescue feral cats on my grounds. (view Avatar) There is always cat food present during day for them. I do remove the food for the night. When I let my flock free-range in backyard in the afternoon, they all crowd to where the cat food is. Often times there is only a little left, so they munch it up quick.
I feed my cats Meow Dry cat food. They ask for it by name:lau:gig

Ask anything else you are not sure of. Remember that different peeps will have their different opinions.:old I only state what has worked for me in the past 20+years.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Back
Top Bottom