Adding pullets to the flock. Will the battle end?

They will probably stay separated as 'sub flocks'.
Are all laying, both reds and orps?
Not sure what getting their cones means.

They will probably stay separated as 'sub flocks'.
Are all laying, both reds and orps?
Not sure what getting their cones means.
All the reds are laying -about 2 weeks now. The Orpingtons still have small pinkish combs-- sorry typing too fast. Not red yet or mature (no squatting). So I am wondering when they mature will they be a bit more assertive and confident? Right now I feel bad for the poor souls. Those reds keep them on a short leash so-to-speak. I am willing to get rid of 5 or 6 reds but only if necessary. Also, your comment brings another question to mind... when the orps start laying are the reds going to let them in the nesting boxes? I may be over analyzing.
idunno.gif

Ah...once the orps start laying thing might even out and mix a bit more.
Bullying from nests might happen, depends on how many nests(4 nests should work for 15 birds)
and how high the orps hormones run, they may get a bit more standupish for themselves once they start laying.

Hi there,
What are you planning to do with the Reds that you remove?
If you're thinking of separating them from the main flock, you'll end up in the same situation again, only reversed.......it really doesn't matter how many chickens you have, they'll be mean one way or the other. Maybe keep them separated during the day and then later in the day let them be together, make it a gradual process, especially for the smallest ones sake or she will never come out of the coop, and even the Orps that she's with won't accept her as they become more integrated with the flock. Also let them free range with the Reds that will also help, the Orps will keep their distance while the older girls do their thing, they'll be to busy to notice them much. Gives everyone breathing room. By the time the Orps are ready to lay, it should be more peaceful.....
Plus your not running around like a chicken with its head cut off.....sorry couldn't resist :)

Really if there is no blood, leave it be. They are getting close to making a flock.

I have always found that pullets are a sub flock in my multigenerational flock, until they begin laying, then they are more accepted in the flock. Sometimes birds of a feather, do tend to flock together, but I have often had mixed breed flocks, and it was not a real problem.

I think you are over the worst, as long as there is enough space for all, they should settle down soon.

MRs K

Really if there is no blood, leave it be. They are getting close to making a flock.

I have always found that pullets are a sub flock in my multigenerational flock, until they begin laying, then they are more accepted in the flock. Sometimes birds of a feather, do tend to flock together, but I have often had mixed breed flocks, and it was not a real problem.

I think you are over the worst, as long as there is enough space for all, they should settle down soon.

MRs K
Thanks. This is our first time with this sort of situation. I am not sure who is more anxious for things to settle the chickens or me! It is getting better. I just need to butt out and let nature do its thing i guess.
yippiechickie.gif

Hi there,
What are you planning to do with the Reds that you remove?
If you're thinking of separating them from the main flock, you'll end up in the same situation again, only reversed.......it really doesn't matter how many chickens you have, they'll be mean one way or the other. Maybe keep them separated during the day and then later in the day let them be together, make it a gradual process, especially for the smallest ones sake or she will never come out of the coop, and even the Orps that she's with won't accept her as they become more integrated with the flock. Also let them free range with the Reds that will also help, the Orps will keep their distance while the older girls do their thing, they'll be to busy to notice them much. Gives everyone breathing room. By the time the Orps are ready to lay, it should be more peaceful.....
Plus your not running around like a chicken with its head cut off.....sorry couldn't resist
smile.png

Here is the little one! I am actually amazed she/he is the bravest of the 4. Since I put all the chickens together this one has really taken the lead. Makes me wonder if its a Roo?

It's hard to get used to their capacity for viciousness, and learn where the line is between interfering.... and not.
Hang in there, you'll figure it out.

Hi Sassy,
There's always a leader in each group, but not necessarily a Roo, I'm sure you've noticed that with your other group. If it's a Roo, the comb will be slightly higher than the others and there should be some longer tail feathers starting to appear.......nice color on your Orp.
Good luck with them all...glad the small one is standing up for its self. I have an almost blind buff Orp, since birth, last winter was hell for her, never had a problem before then, but some of the girls are really mean to her, and I keep her separated from the others during the day......she's actually v. Nervous around some of them.
Keep me posted as to how everything goes, addicting aren't they?
Nice chatting......
J.

Back
Top Bottom