Adding ROOSTER!!!!

I agree with Shadrach on his points, but would like to point out a difference.

There is a real difference on a place that is big enough that has several groups of birds or tribes of birds than a coop/run set up and occasional free ranging for 6-7 birds., is different space wise. So where as Shadrocks roosters may get along with just 3-4 birds, all the birds have more of a free choice in the decision.

Not the same as a small flock in mostly a confined space.

This is for other posters, a 50 x 50 run, should be more than enough room.

Mrs K

How old is the rooster you are looking at?
Since it sounds like you are new to chickens (me too) - age matters to see what their temperament would most likely be like.
Not sure if I would get the RIR as they tend to be big and aggressive more so than other breeds. But, no matter what breed you get you can end up with an aggressive one. So, you never know.
My roo story is a bit different as I didn't quarantine. One reason was because he had already been separated from the flock for month before I got him. He and his dad started fighting once he started crowing.
I checked him over and he was pretty healthy - eyes clear, no rattling, etc. . His parents were healthy stock too. I was able to observe the dad roo - he was pretty calm while in my presence and he stayed with his ladies. I watched the owner go near them and saw no aggressive behaviors from papa roo.
If you can observe them with people near, that would be best.
My girls don't always care for his mating attempts, but they do seem more content now that they don't have to be on alert all of the time.
One of my girls was getting rather bossy and that all stopped once he was introduced.
As far as quarantining, if you feel more comfortable doing so, do it. I just did what worked for me. I used the look no touch barrier for integration as stated above in my other post. I think that is important especially since my guy was a cockerel and the much older ladies had never been with a roo.

Last edited:
@ Soontobchixmom - separating them with a wire panel is a very good integration method, however it is not a quarantine. I agree that the quarantine actually happened at the other place.

As AArt says - it is just semantics with word choice, but with just written communication it is best to be clear.

MK

@ Soontobchixmom - separating them with a wire panel is a very good integration method, however it is not a quarantine. I agree that the quarantine actually happened at the other place.

As AArt says - it is just semantics with word choice, but with just written communication it is best to be clear.

MK
Oh, I know it's not a quarantine. I said I didn't quarantine. :) At the end of my post, I was explaining that I only integrated with the wire barrier.

You shouldn't have a problem with your hens, i'd watch closely for a few days to make sure he isn't nutty towards any particular one. It dosen't happen often but sometimes they'll pick a hen and just be a pure jerk to just that one. He's older though so maybe you're out of those woods. Biggest thing be sure he's ok with you and you're ok with him you guys will be seeing alot of each other.:)

How can I make sure all the illnesses are gone before I introduce?
You can never be ABSOLUTELY sure unless you run tests I suppose, but I’d say just use your best judgement in general to determine if something is “off”, or if he is fit to join he existing flock. I’d say keep him separate for at least two weeks to be sure that any illnesses he has would have become visible by then

Back
Top Bottom