Adding variety to the flock - questions

shellyga

Songster
9 Years
Oct 23, 2010
Milner
Right now I have 12 chickens.. all Buff Orpintons - 11 hens and one rooster. We want to add some new ones this spring and were looking at the variety offered at several of the hatcheries. We will be adding 25 hens and 2 roos to the mix.. which from what I am reading here will be a good hen to rooster ratio. My question is this: Can I mix the variety of chickens as long as I get all standard size and all "day old" chicks so they can be raised together? I like RIR, but also like Brahmas, Delawares, Star, Barred Rock, White Orpington, and Barnevelder (although none of the hatcheries seem to carry this one)... The roos we were thinking about are Brahma and Barred Rock.

Thoughts?

Shelly

You can absolutely mix different breeds together. Know that your roos will breed all the hens and if you hatch your babies you'll get mixes, unless you sequester certian hens and a roo for breeding purposes. I love my mixed flock, I think I'd get bored having all the same chicken!

they will be fine together especially if you get all dayolds at about the same time. And integratr them into the flock all at one time.

i have a mixed free range flock all different ages ive kept chicks together with no more then 4weeks age difference
bantys seem to get food 1st when i hand feed them though (except silkies)
43829_actionshot.jpg
(guess pecking order dosnt always affect those who can fly best)

43829_free_rangeflock.jpg

atleast each breed you see was integrated at different times (except i did get a banty assortment once so alot of the bantys are same age)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom