Adding wheels to an Eglu

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hronk, Jul 25, 2010.

1. hronk

hronk New Egg

Jul 25, 2010
    I've got an Eglu and I've very happy with it: https://www.omlet.us/shop/shop.php?cat=Eglu&sub=Eglu+Classic&product_id=5295&product_name=Chicken+Eglu+Green

The
    only problem is that dragging it around can be a royal pain. The front mesh is no problem, but the large plastic coop is heavy and bulky enough that it's exasperating to drag around the yard.

So I should add some wheels, right? One option is to get a couple of wheels, and axle, and just shove them under here:

[​IMG]

Another is to put there here, but I doubt that would make it any easier - the coop would just hang off.

[​IMG]

Thoughts? I found some wheels to order, but where do I get an axle?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/...eplacement-tire-with-1-2-in-axle-bore-3553206

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. me and my marans

me and my marans Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2009
    I would suggest an axle, that can be put under and taken from under it easily, a piece of wood with a wheel on either end, I have seen someone using it on all of his arks that he keeps his breeding birds in, he simple kicks it under when he lifts it and then pulls it to where he wants it and then moves onto the next one.

3. angels4

angels4 Chillin' With My Peeps

I gave up trying to drag my eglu around and just keep it in the same location, however my ladies are able to free range everyday, all day so it hasn't been an issue.

4. hronk

hronk New Egg

Jul 25, 2010
    Good idea, thanks marans.

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

strip the box off of a wagon and bolt it on?

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    When you're trying to drag it, are you lifting it way up, so only the back edge is dragging on the ground?

7. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    If you add wheels, be very careful not to create a small gap underneath where stoats etc could get in. Have you thought about just getting a skate board and sliding it under when you want to move the coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by