Additives to chicks water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greghost, Mar 15, 2017.

1. greghost

greghost Just Hatched

Mar 14, 2017
    Southern NJ
    Hello I'm new to this chick raising and I'm putting probiotics braggs apple cv oregano(a pinch to a quart of water and a couple slices if Garlic My question is am I overdoing it and if so which should I cut out ?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I give my chicken straight water unless they get sick.I haven't had a sick chicken in 3 years.

3. treslilbirds

treslilbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    NorCal
    Hi I'm new to all this too, I'm sure you'll find a wealth of knowledge on here. :welcome

I'm on day 6 with my babies and I've been adding Poultry NutriDrench to their water. I bought the bottle for a chick that we ended up losing unfortunately, but I decided to go ahead and supplement the rest since it has a bunch of good stuff in it. I will confess I don't use the full recommended dosage bc it's kinda pricy at $6-8 for a 4 oz bottle and the starting dose for chicks is 1 oz in 1 qt of water...I change the water 1-2 times daily...so yeah. Ten large drops changes the color and odor considerably....I can't imagine doing the full recommended dosage. I've never raised chicks before but my husband did as a kid and some as an adult before we met....he made the comment the other day that they were the best looking chicks he'd ever seen. :yesss:

There's apparently a recipe to make your own PND somewhere, I'm still searching for it. But in my very very humble beginners opinion, I really like this stuff. They absorb the nutrients almost immediately, no need for digestion. It has molasses in it for GI health too.

Plus I figure while I use this and basic chick starter, I can research making my own stuff later with my free time. :D

Enjoy your new babies!
    :jumpy

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi treslilbirdd,
    1/2 teaspoon in a quart of water was recommended to me by the tech guy at Bovidr labs who make the Drench.
    Best,
    Karen

1 person likes this.
  5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Greg host,
    You Re going to overload their systems with all that in the water. Skip the garlic and oregano for now. Put the Bragg's in the water. Give the probiotics in yogurt form.
    Buy Okios Triple Zero Yogurt and put in a dish. It is very pure. Take anything left over out of the brooder after ten minutes so it doesn't go bad under the light.
    Give the oregano and garlic to them when they are a bit older.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by