ADHD Support Group

Pics
So I'm 39 and suffer from ADHD. I am married with 3 lovely children ( oldest for sure suffers from ADHD and probably mild depression) ( middle is painfully shy and introverted, terrified of crowds). My husband became disabled 10 years ago due to an on the job injury, and suffers from debilitating chronic facial nerve pain and migraines, so I manage most of the daily household chores, but I make him handle bill pays because I'm too easily distracted and I want him to be contributing so he manages bills. It doesn't require a lot of moving around. So, yes, holding down jobs with ADHD is a struggle, I was medicated for many years but not during childbearing ( ritalin is not good for fetuses) and now I no longer medicate due to side effects becoming more annoying than the ADHD and lack of income due to loosing my job several years ago. I'm now basically self employed. I manage a small farm, the J L bar farm, named after my dad's family brand. I hatch and sell chicks and poults, board a few horses, and manage 45 acres of hay ground. I like using music when I work too, I use whatever I'm in the mood for at the time, be it classical, happy hardcore, classic rock, thrash metal, classic country or whatever ( except rap. I'm just not into rap for work music.)
Anyways, the farm usually barely breaks even or takes a loss, but I'm working, feeding my family, and providing a service to my parents ( by managing their townhouse and providing horse hay for their horses). Over time, I've learned to psych myself into following through when I need to, but I still make a lot of mistakes. I find working with my hands keeps me on track better than desk work ever could, so being outside working on the irrigation ditches, managing the hatchery, and hugging my funny turkeys keeps me motivated. My mother also has ADHD. She's a veterinarian, and she found her passion in medicine and surgery and is a top surgeon in her field. For me at this point, I'm just managing to care for all my kids and my husband, plus my mother in law is living with us for the next few months( and the farm). So I wanna say keep pushing yourself, because you will find the right way. Did you know that ER doctors do better with ADHD? You would be surprised by how many ER docs have it. My mom was an emergency veterinarian for many years until her retirement, and ADHD made her ambivalent to the fact that only 5% of her graduate class were females. There are niche jobs that are great for ADHD folks. Finding them, and finding your passion, will be the hardest part.

I cant stop apologizing for my outburst. I am sorry.

I just got back from a Neurotherapy brain map. The results are actually surprising.

I cant post pictures due to confidentiality, so here is the rundown.

According to the brain map, I:

Am not sleeping well.

Naturally dont enjoy doing something while I am doing it, even if its a fun activity.

More things I cannot post, Its VERY hard to explain

And to top it all off, my High Beta brain waves are 4 standard deviations ABOVE the normal brain.

In a nutshell, I have ADHD and depression.

I will support all here who have ADHD, but I would like support in return.

Again, Sorry for my outburst.

Jared
I saw this thread but my lag time is insane and then couldnt find it anymore.
Apparently I also have it. Certainly explains a LOT about my childhood. :lau
I stopped looking after this diagnosis and a second unexpected one. I figured i should stop while Im ahead.
My family has tons of issues. Some diagnosed, most not.
Initially, maybe still, I’m very curious about the brain mapping, but like I said, i kinda wanna stop while im ahead.
Before crap hit the fan during kids teenage years, i always thought ADHD was only not being able to sit still and not paying any attention. Wow! Theres so much more to this. Mood swings, anger issues, learning issues, organizational, etc. lets not forget the impulsivity!

I saw this thread but my lag time is insane and then couldnt find it anymore.
Apparently I also have it. Certainly explains a LOT about my childhood. :lau
I stopped looking after this diagnosis and a second unexpected one. I figured i should stop while Im ahead.
My family has tons of issues. Some diagnosed, most not.
Initially, maybe still, I’m very curious about the brain mapping, but like I said, i kinda wanna stop while im ahead.
Before crap hit the fan during kids teenage years, i always thought ADHD was only not being able to sit still and not paying any attention. Wow! Theres so much more to this. Mood swings, anger issues, learning issues, organizational, etc. lets not forget the impulsivity!

definitely don’t forget impulsivity. I struggle with that myself.

So I'm 39 and suffer from ADHD. I am married with 3 lovely children ( oldest for sure suffers from ADHD and probably mild depression) ( middle is painfully shy and introverted, terrified of crowds). My husband became disabled 10 years ago due to an on the job injury, and suffers from debilitating chronic facial nerve pain and migraines, so I manage most of the daily household chores, but I make him handle bill pays because I'm too easily distracted and I want him to be contributing so he manages bills. It doesn't require a lot of moving around. So, yes, holding down jobs with ADHD is a struggle, I was medicated for many years but not during childbearing ( ritalin is not good for fetuses) and now I no longer medicate due to side effects becoming more annoying than the ADHD and lack of income due to loosing my job several years ago. I'm now basically self employed. I manage a small farm, the J L bar farm, named after my dad's family brand. I hatch and sell chicks and poults, board a few horses, and manage 45 acres of hay ground. I like using music when I work too, I use whatever I'm in the mood for at the time, be it classical, happy hardcore, classic rock, thrash metal, classic country or whatever ( except rap. I'm just not into rap for work music.)
Anyways, the farm usually barely breaks even or takes a loss, but I'm working, feeding my family, and providing a service to my parents ( by managing their townhouse and providing horse hay for their horses). Over time, I've learned to psych myself into following through when I need to, but I still make a lot of mistakes. I find working with my hands keeps me on track better than desk work ever could, so being outside working on the irrigation ditches, managing the hatchery, and hugging my funny turkeys keeps me motivated. My mother also has ADHD. She's a veterinarian, and she found her passion in medicine and surgery and is a top surgeon in her field. For me at this point, I'm just managing to care for all my kids and my husband, plus my mother in law is living with us for the next few months( and the farm). So I wanna say keep pushing yourself, because you will find the right way. Did you know that ER doctors do better with ADHD? You would be surprised by how many ER docs have it. My mom was an emergency veterinarian for many years until her retirement, and ADHD made her ambivalent to the fact that only 5% of her graduate class were females. There are niche jobs that are great for ADHD folks. Finding them, and finding your passion, will be the hardest part.

welcome! Thanks for all that info.

welcome! Thanks for all that info.
I'm an oversharer. . If I get annoying you can always let me know. My weakness is video games, procrastination, and getting lost in youtube.
I tell you what, I struggle with not yelling at my kids a lot, just like my mom. My dad always had to handle most of the emotional kid dealings for me and my sister, because she would struggle with anger when I would misbehave, now I can feel myself struggling to cope. This time, however, my husband isn't always able to help because he's been in pain for so long. The newer treatments have helped and he's a lot more interactive now.
I remember if I get really mad, I take a big breath, hold it for a few seconds, then curtly tell the kids that I need to go for a walk and calm down before I can deal with them again. I don't want to do something I will regret and I'm very frank with them about it. Kids are miniature humans after all, and having all nessecary info helps people understand a situation.
If I'm in a super boring situation where I have to listen to a lecture that pertains to something I'm not keenly interested in, I can usually skim it by doodling. Otherwise, I'll drift off, sometimes fall asleep, or even randomly forget what I'm doing and get up or otherwise inadvertently interrupt. Doodling gives my hands something to do so I can make my fidgety self pay better attention.

Wow, you all are just amazing. One of my cousins had 2 boys with ADHD. The youngest just graduated from college with a degree in engineering. The older one is married with a new baby, has a good paying job, and follows his hobby of dirt track racing. Good kids.

ADHD does impair, but it will not stop us from progressing in life. We won’t let it. There are many places in Brain that are strengthened by ADHD.

For me, it’s problem-solving, I actually solved a Rubik’s cube in under 5 minutes.

i’m also a good chess player.

Back
Top Bottom