Administering worm medicine

Quote: @minihorse927 and @MrsBrooke , curiously, is there a reference some place that says to repeat in 5 days? I ask because all the books I have say when treating roundworms or cecal worms with fenbendazole to repeat in 10 days, and when treating tapes with praziquantel, repeat in 10-14 days.
idunno.gif

-Kathy

@minihorse927
 and @MrsBrooke
 , curiously, is there a reference some place that says to repeat in 5 days? I ask because all the books I have say when treating roundworms or cecal worms with fenbendazole to repeat in 10 days, and when treating tapes with praziquantel, repeat in 10-14 days. :idunno

-Kathy
All I have is info from my vet who said 5 to 10 days later. Typically I use 8 to 10 days as it makes more sense to me.

Last edited:
If it's NOT *just* round worms I should dose once per day for 5 days--or still just ONE time and then follow up 10 -14 days? Is that safegard really that effective that they only need it once and then agin one more time in 10 or so days?
And how do u feel about wazine17 first, and then follow up later with the safegard? I thought I read that in this thread earlier, but it seems to not be there anymore. Maybe it was edited or removed-not sure.

I've seen people do the wazine first to kill off the roundworms then do the safeguard. The idea behind that is to kill off the roundworms first so the safeguard doesn't overload the system and kill of too many at one time. That's why float tests are a good idea because they will tel you what you are dealing with. Unfortunately throwing the entire deworminf cabinet at a worm problem is not the best idea.

Dose one day and redo in 10 days.

If it's NOT *just* round worms I should dose once per day for 5 days--or still just ONE time and then follow up 10 -14 days? Is that safegard really that effective that they only need it once and then agin one more time in 10 or so days?
And how do u feel about wazine17 first, and then follow up later with the safegard? I thought I read that in this thread earlier, but it seems to not be there anymore. Maybe it was edited or removed-not sure.

I've read tons of posts from people about doing Wazine (piperazine) first, but I've never heard of a vet telling someone to do that, nor have I seen any literature that says to do it that way, so I would pick one wormer and use it both times. That way you will treat both large roundworms and cecal worms.

Has you friend purchased the wormer yet? If not, best bang for the buck is the Valbazen.

-Kathy

@Klwright1122, a single dose of Valbazen will treat more types of worms than a single dose of Safeguard, and the effective Valbazen dose is much less than the effective Safeguard dose. Is there anyway you friend can have a fecal test done?

-Kathy

@minihorse927
 and @MrsBrooke
 , curiously, is there a reference some place that says to repeat in 5 days? I ask because all the books I have say when treating roundworms or cecal worms with fenbendazole to repeat in 10 days, and when treating tapes with praziquantel, repeat in 10-14 days. :idunno

-Kathy
All I have is info from my vet who said 5 to 10 days later. Typically I use 8 to 10 days as it makes more sense to me.

Thanks. Based on what I have read, something closer to 10 days makes more sense to me, too.

-Kathy

I was talking about Valbazen for tapeworms and left out that vital info.

PS - My "reference" was Dawg53 from back in the day. :)

MrsB

Last edited:
I was talking about Valbazen for tapeworms and left out that vital info.

PS - My "reference" was Dawg53 from back in the day. :)

MrsB

Dawg53 now recommends something very different than he used to... I'll see if I can find some of his more recent recommendations. :D

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom