Adolescent Rooster Behaviour

Zeil

Chirping
Jun 29, 2015
Brisbane QLD
Hi all,

For anyone in Brisbane how are your chickens enjoying the rain?

Also and probably me just mother henning, but the last few days my Rooster has been picking on one of my hens, I think.

Some background, my partner and I took some chicks that were hatched at her school. Of the six we took three are lohmanns, two are white leghorns and one is quite a small astrolorp.
They are about 3 and half months old now and I'm fairly sure just the white leghorn is a rooster, he checks all the boxes whilst the other girls check next to none.
Typically they're pretty friendly with us and each other, they play fight a bit but it's a few raised feathers a chest bump and then back to business as usual.

However the last few days I've noticed that our rooster and our astrolorp are having some issues. Maybe. It's a bit hard to tell. He doesnt actually appear to be doing anything to her, no pecking, or feather pulling or scratching. She makes this horrible noise though like he is.

I've watched these incidents through a few times now, generally he approaches her and she squawks and runs away from him, at which point he chases her, but not like does laps of the pen after her, just follows her slowly to wherever else she's moved and again she squawks and runs.

This doesn't go for an extended period, only one or two minutes if that, but it is happening more frequently just from yesterday, 4 or 5 times just in the last few hours today.

Anyone had this as a prelude to larger problems before? Can I expect him to actually start picking on her, or is just that she's got some issue with him that isn't his fault. She isn't timid with any of the other chickens and in fact I've seen her climb her his back before whilst trying to steal a piece of pumpkin I gave them, so she doesn't avoid him altogether.

He is approaching puberty and since she is the smallest pullet he has probably tried to breed her. She's not interested so squawks and runs encouraging him to chase her. He'll probably get worse before he gets better - blame it on the testosterone.

He is approaching puberty and since she is the smallest pullet he has probably tried to breed her.  She's not interested so squawks and runs encouraging him to chase her.  He'll probably get worse before he gets better - blame it on the testosterone.

I had actually considered that since posting and have been reading about early breeders and how typically males reach sexual maturity before females (there's a joke there, I just can't get it...). At any rate, he is very masculine looking and is already gearing up to crow, so that makes sense.

However I have not seen a single instance of him trying to mount anyone, although I will allow I don't watch them all the time.

Read that if he gets too big for his comb dog crating him for a few days can help.

In my experience white leghorn cockerels have been horny little buggers. They do make excellent fryers. Lady up the hill when I was a kid raised leghorns for egg production. Although she got 'sexed' birds, many were cockerels. We got to eat many of her castoffs.

Did placing him in a crate work? I have a new rooster who is picking in several of my girls. They all seem agitated, I have had him only 2 weeks, he is approx 7 months old and the girls are a year old.

Did placing him in a crate work? I have a new rooster who is picking in several of my girls. They all seem agitated, I have had him only 2 weeks, he is approx 7 months old and the girls are a year old.

Hi,

Um I actually haven't had to crate him yet, but that's the suggestion for many amorous roosters. Seperate them from the hens for several days.

Crating an adolescent rooster isn't going to help with hormonal issues. Those hormones aren't going to go away in a few days in a crate like a broody hen's will. When you let him out he's going to make a beeline for the first hen he sees.

Crating an adolescent rooster isn't going to help with hormonal issues. Those hormones aren't going to go away in a few days in a crate like a broody hen's will. When you let him out he's going to make a beeline for the first hen he sees.

Of course not and as I've said, I've neither really dealt with a confirmed overzealous rooster, nor have I crated one for anything, however that's what been most often suggested, as it gives the hens a break from his attentions and can help shift the social dynamics within the coop slightly.

However what works for one person and one rooster will not work for every person and every rooster.

Indeed it was very early mating behaviour, he has now started to grab all of the girls combs, however it seems very tentative and the moment the hens screech he lets them go.
This happens maybe two or three times a day.

Good morning, update on my over zealous roosters. After talking to my vet castration is out - he is too old. Estrogen implant is a possibility. This will quiet his needs and make him much calmer. The other option is to re-home him. As anyone tried the estrogen route. He is a beautiful bird but I cannot have him tearing up the girls ( 3 now have extensive wounds to their necks and he is locked up until I come to a decision) Help

Back
Top Bottom