Adopted 18 malnourished chickens

Hi,
I'm disabled with 5 fusions in my spine and in constant pain. I had a corporate job and then suddenly, like hitting a brick wall, I couldn't work because of a failed back surgery for the first two fusions. From always living in large cities to four years ago moving to a VERY RURAL area in Colorado; the move to open a foster home where there are none I'm now having to "google" a lot to become a "homesteader" here and learn how to DIY a lot. I read up on "homesteading" and one of the first things I wanted to try was getting chickens, goats(no goats yet), and bees (no bees yet either). In August I adopted 18 chickens that had for 8 months only been fed 1/6 of what they should have and 1/2 of that was scratch; she also kept insisting they "molted" all year; they all had "bare butts". Poor things! So, once I got them, fed them, took care of them they got all of the feathers in and two months later lost them when they really were molting. They also had bugs all over them so to say the least they were miserable; initially they were mean to each other and had become "cannibals". The bugs are now gone and the birds are beautiful. Two of the hens died two months after we got them within a week of each other; the vet said the malnourishment had taken years off their lives, that and I found out from another friend they were about 5 years old when we got them so though we are getting eggs, many aren't laying anymore. Our friends think we should "process" them; there is no way. The vet thought by the end of winter they might all be gone; BUT I wasn't going to have that. I've used your site/posts to get ideas to help them. I've cooked oatmeal and put fresh grated ginger in it to increase their appetites. I clean out their coop and run everyday of poop and put ash from our fireplace (for odor) and diatomaceous soil in both their beds and the places they take their dirt baths. I've tried all kinds of fun activities for them like "eat the swaying cabbage" hanging from the top of the cage and purchased baby toys for entertainment, though they haven't caught on to those yet. I've also been letting them out into the garden to let them have fun, I'm going to post a thread with a question about that next. Family members think I"m crazy, that I have too many other things that need to be done and I'm wasting my time on the chickens. But I say, "what personalities they each have, what a joy it is to hear them each make their own sounds when around me, how relaxing it is to take care of them because they bring joy and a smile to my face". I love taking care of these hens, my 16 babies; thank you for helping me do that!

Thank you for rescuing these girls!

With respect to allowing the chickens in the garden, have you ever applied chemicals to that area? More than one BYC member has had pesticides/herbicides/fertilizer reactivate when wet, especially when it rains, and the result for the chicken is … not good.

We've used 'sweet pdz' to help neutralize the ammonia in the coop - I like the powder the best- some like the granules. My girls flock to the freshly powdered areas to dust bathe.

About feeding them oatmeal … specifically the physiological impact on their intestines, please check out the link below. Ultimately what you decide to do and not do is up to you, we're just here to share what we've learned over the years.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-shocking-effect-of-oatmeal/
p.s. .... If you're looking for a warm treat, you can always scramble or boil them up some eggs - they will love that too!

:welcome

I am sure you will find lots of great information and friendly folks here.
DE (diatomacious earth) is a subject often debated here.
It is very irritating to lungs...both chicken and human. I choose not to use it. I don't think it is proven effective.

Good job getting those girls into a healthier state. They look much improved.

Several years ago I took in 6 birds that had not had proper feed. Yes they lived much shorter lives than my other birds. Give them the best of the rest of their lives was my motto.

This link will take you to a great source for learning.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/
Thank you for the info!

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

I am sorry about your back pain. :hugs I was born with some deformities in my back, I know how bad back pain can be!

Oh those poor birds! You have a heart of gold to rescue them, giving them a second chance at real living! :)

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our community! :)
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom