Adopted a Japaense Pheonix Rooster; Why is he not socializing?

katiecamm

Hatching
Feb 14, 2016
On Friday I adopted a Phoenix rooster to add to my 10 month old flock of 5 Barred Rocks and 9 White Sussexes. We knew to keep him in the run for a couple of day to make sure he knew where home was, and during that time he acted awfully excited to see other chickens. He was extremely social towards them then. Today we decided to let him free range with our girls, after watching him be very well behaved in their presence. He is acting like a complete loner. He is no where near my girls and is by all means roaming alone. I don't know why.

I adopted him without an knowledge of prior abuse, any illnesses, anything like that. They don't even know how old he is. I want him to be happy in my flock, I mean 14 girls all to yourself should make any rooster happy. But he's been reserved and isolating all day. Any advice?

-Concerned momma

He might need more time with the hens. It might not be him, but the hens might not be used to him yet. I'd give him a couple more days with the hens.

Do you know how old he is? If he's still a cockerel, he may be intimidated by the older hens.

Also, chickens that weren't brooder-raised together tend to hang around by themselves apart from the others. This is totally normal.

But your little guy will probably gain self confidence after a few weeks, and he'll be more sociable then.

He may be too young.....can you post a pic of him?

He may just be bidding his time, a mature gentleman playing hard to get.

3 days is nothing, give him time.
How much time do you spend watching them,
chicken behaviors can be subtle and the inexperienced and/or impatient keeper will not notice them.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how old he is, but he is an adult. His spur is definitely large enough to be considered an adult. I'm not sure if he's really interested in my girls much, but they sure love him.

I try to hang with my chickens as often as possible, but between two jobs and University, it can be difficult.

He crows a lot. I'm not sure if that has to do with anything.

Back
Top Bottom