Adopted chickens from MSPCA

Dana

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 10, 2007
New Hampshire
Hi,

This is my first post, though I've been lurking for a while.

Well, thanks to erinm posting about adopting some hens from Nevins Farm, I decided to get six!

They seem to be fairly healthy, although one of them sometimes has noisy breathing.
Most of them are very friendly, only one is still shy, but even she will eat from my hand now.

I'm pretty sure that five of them are black sex links, but I don't know what kind the one in the last picture is. I chose her because she was being picked on by the others, which is why she has no tail feathers. But based on the others, I think her tail feathers will be black-tipped. Also, she is very large and heavy.

Oh Dana they are so beautiful and so lucky! Did they let you pick out what ones you wanted? I so wanted to be able to get up there to help a few out but lack of time I just couldn't. I was talking to a chicken friend of mine and she said that many people were thinking of taking some and I hope they did. Thanks for posting the pictures and hope you enjoy them!
smile.png

What beautiful birds and it looks like you've got a wonderful place for them there. It's great that you took them. I hope they bring you joy and laughs.

what pretty birds you - they are so lucky to have you to take care of them - I feel bad for the one with the naked bum LOL maybe you can give her a pair of panties ??
I would think that after some TLC and tie her tail will be nice looking again ( as long as the others dont still pick on her )
I wish there was a place here that I could take in unwanted birds I think that is such a great thing to do.
Good luck with them

Julie

Standard Hen: Yes, they did let me pick them out. I hope you get to adopt some, they have plenty left.

kayri: Thank you, I think they'll be happy here.

Corey NC: I think that two of them are laying now, which I didn't expect until spring.

Crazy4Chicks: I think she was only being picked on because they were so crowded at the shelter, she's doing very well in this small flock. But I hope she won't be too cold this winter. Any idea what kind she might be, or should I post in the "what breed" section?

Are those chickens from that aweful place were there were dead chickens everywhere!( I had posted on this while ago so sad) I know they had rescued alot of poor chickens and ducks over 300 of them I think. I am so happy you are able to give them a happy and wonderful home!!
smile.png
. How is it you go about getting them ? I am in MA and I dont think its to far from me !
Take Care
Cristina

Back
Top Bottom