Adopted chicks, can they go outside and join flock?

Hammersmith91

Hatching
Mar 25, 2018
I've recently adopted 6 babies. They look well feathered and have been in this bin their whole lives. They have a heat lamp and have been inside a house. I have a huge chicken coop with 5 adult hens. It's currently snowing around 35 degrees Fahrenheit. Should start warming up. I'm scared to throw them in without weaning or introducing.

Attachments

• 20180325_135458.jpg
    20180325_135458.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 8
I would put a heat lamp outside just so they can go int coop if cold,of course after you get them out there,maybe you should take some chicken wire and nail up make almost a small corner in the coop,during the day they can go in there for a week then sleep inside at night,after this process just put them in the run after the week process and see what happens.
Do you free range?If do you can try letting them walk around outside and see each other that way,that way it isn’t forced and they can run when they want.
After putting them in run,do they have more then one feed stations and waterers and do they have roosts in the run and enoug roost space in coop as well.

8E333ECE-CA7A-4FCD-9B90-B43B5EC74576.jpeg 9971CD56-6BBB-4301-A65C-B033DBF0BA00.jpeg 8E333ECE-CA7A-4FCD-9B90-B43B5EC74576.jpeg 9971CD56-6BBB-4301-A65C-B033DBF0BA00.jpeg
I've recently adopted 6 babies. They look well feathered and have been in this bin their whole lives. They have a heat lamp and have been inside a house. I have a huge chicken coop with 5 adult hens. It's currently snowing around 35 degrees Fahrenheit. Should start warming up. I'm scared to throw them in without weaning or introducing.

Too big for than bin, you can introduce them to the 5 adults with caution. I quit using those bins few years ago and been using big boxes so I can add extra room when needed by taping multiple boxes together.
Best thing is make some screen partition in your coop for few weeks seeing each other but no touch. When you assimilate them together add multiple feeder/waterers so there will not be blood bath. If you can also add more perches will be ideal for the young ones. I normally train chick to perch as young as 1 week old to avoid poop on their feathers & feet while sleeping. Check my photos for ideas, I copied the concepts from some experts.

Hi :frow
Make sure the younger ones will have a safe place to go in the coop if they get picked on by the hens. An area that isn't big enough for a hen to fit into. When I integrate younger ones to my existing flock they are at first separated by a makeshift fence so they can check each other out before joining them. When the 'fence' comes down is when I make sure they have something they can get into that is just their size. The pecking order will need to be re-evaluated of course but this is natural. Keeping everyone safe and happy is the goal.
Good luck with them!
:ya

I would put a heat lamp outside just so they can go int coop if cold,of course after you get them out there,maybe you should take some chicken wire and nail up make almost a small corner in the coop,during the day they can go in there for a week then sleep inside at night,after this process just put them in the run after the week process and see what happens.
Do you free range?If do you can try letting them walk around outside and see each other that way,that way it isn’t forced and they can run when they want.
After putting them in run,do they have more then one feed stations and waterers and do they have roosts in the run and enoug roost space in coop as well.

I don't let them out to free run often because my dogs, in the summer I do more. They have been roosting on a 6foot 2x4 on the top of the coop and have 6 nests. This is the setup I made, so they can get used to em. I introduced them and suprisingly the older one that has had issues with the other adults pecking her was the most aggressive! and attacked a bit. So I separated them im afraid they will get cold, but I know the babies with huddle. It gets around 25 at night lately. Im afraid to have a heat lamp outside for many reasons.

Attachments

• 1522014658735231429125.jpg
    1522014658735231429125.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Ok,if you wanna wait a few weeks once their about three months that should be fine,however don’t be too worried about picking unless it’s making them bleed and is obviously bad (cornering them,ripping feathers and combs at/off them).The bird that had a previous past on getting picked on probably is last in order and is being aggressive so she can gain higher in order and wants the chicks to know she is boss,that way she won’t be at bottom anymore,and she won’t be as likely to get bullied as much,however you do need to add an extra roost which is probably why she was getting picked on,little space isn’t healthy.Another 6ft long 2x4 should be added.How big is the coop entirely?

Ok,if you wanna wait a few weeks once their about three months that should be fine,however don’t be too worried about picking unless it’s making them bleed and is obviously bad (cornering them,ripping feathers and combs at/off them).The bird that had a previous past on getting picked on probably is last in order and is being aggressive so she can gain higher in order and wants the chicks to know she is boss,that way she won’t be at bottom anymore,and she won’t be as likely to get bullied as much,however you do need to add an extra roost which is probably why she was getting picked on,little space isn’t healthy.Another 6ft long 2x4 should be added.How big is the coop entirely?

The coop itself is about 6ishx4ish roughly. Can crawl in fine without bumping anything. The run attached is like 18ft long with space under the coop. The big bully chicken picked them up by the neck! Scary. The alpha hen was laying eggs at this time. I didn't expect to adopt more, friend was moving and she just got them .

Thank you everyone who has replied also! And so quickly! I gave the tub ready to go if I have to swoop em up and bring em in

Back
Top Bottom