Adopted Homers... will they stay?

Pics
:goodpost:Have to agree with you totally. I think my second flock was a mix of mutts. When I purchased them the guy was more than happy to give me the whole batch. We agreed on a pretty low price as well. :gig He probably knew that they were just ornamentals. They would not return after being scared away by a hawk. When released, they were lazy and did not cruise at all. They did look pretty though.. SOOOOOOO WHAT. :idunnoNOW NO MORE.

a pretty low price as well.
You only get what you pay for (if your lucky) when it comes to pigeons. I have a Belgium blood line of white homers. That would never fetch in my area what they are worth. I have got deals on excellent pigeons. I recall getting a Jensen brothers bird for $5.ºº I felt so guilty I gave buddy a extra $20.ºº on our next meeting. It was given to him apparently and he had no clue of it's true value.

My experience is this when it comes to pigeons.

"It cost the same to feed a poor pigeon as it does a excellent one."

Thank you for your support cavemanrich.

If all thing line up for me well, I will rebuild my flock this Spring or Summer. I do have a good source for some descent homers. Who knows, maybe they wont be as good as claimed. :idunno

I am happy for you. I had never even touched a pigeon until after many months of planning, research, loft building, etc, I got my first birds. They put a smile on my face every day!

What I put the least time into was sourcing the birds. There are some cool strains I'd be interested in, like Detroit Bekaerts, but as a beginner non-racer I don't think that a wise start. As soon as the loft was habitable I just couldn't wait and bought 6 birds 'sight unseen' from a CL seller. Now I'm having fun figuring out what I have. :D

Back
Top Bottom