Adopting a new chick into a group of chicks~ bad idea?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Leavingegypt, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Leavingegypt

Leavingegypt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    So this is my first time raising chicks. 5 weeks ago I got 6 baby chicks @ TSC, 3 production reds and 3 buff orpingtons. They have done really well and are now 5 weeks old. There has been no bad behavior and they get along great. I was contacted yesterday by a friend who has a friend who's young son "won" a chick at a school Easter carnival. The dad said they could keep it until they found a home for it. They have asked me if I want it.
    The new chick is 4 weeks old. I don't know what breed it is or whehter it is a roo or pullet. I already have 1 confirmed BO roo- possibly 2. I can't have any more.
    Should I take this new chick and help them out or am I asking for trouble in my already established happy chicken home? And, I don't want to debate the ethical question of giving a LIVE animal as a prize- but COME ON PEOPLE get a clue!

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    It should be fine at 4 weeks, and I'd adopt it either way and hope for the best. Someone mentioned that some feed stores will take in unwanted roosters and sell them, but I don't know TSC's policy on that. They can be processed around 12-16 weeks if they really can't stay around - I've heard they're a lot like cornish hens at that age (small but tender and tasty).

3. dracon

dracon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    South East QLD Australia
    it all comes down to Do you want it ?

not so much about peoples ethics just their stupidity

my opinion is that if the current owners didn't want it long term they should not of accepted it
    it could of been in a home where it was wanted from the start.

this is similar to how i got my first chicken
    the school here has a incubator come in for their prep class ( kindy )
    my nephew brought home three week old chicks with out prior knowledge or parental permission and as
    a result two died of neglect and the third i had to buy from my nephew for $5 she went on to live a few more years before being killed by a dog

4. nicolets

nicolets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Monroe County, PA
    I'd say adopt it - but if you're really unsure about it, say you'll take it if they can't find a home for it elsewhere.

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    In my limited experience, chicks of that age generally don't have the pecking order issues that older chickens have. On several occasions, I've integrated new chicks with others up through 7 or 8 weeks of age with no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by