Adopting Battery Hens- How would I do it? What should I know?

TheChiggens

The Cluckmazing Guy
Jul 7, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
So I live in Maine and I have been wanting to adopt some battery hens from a factory farm. I really want to have the experience of watching the tortured hens go outside and experience their natural behaviors! Its something I have wanted to do for a while. Because it seems like such a heartwarming experience. But never knew how to approach it.

Has anyone done it before?

What should I know?

I'm in the UK so not sure how you would go about obtaining ex-battery hens there, but I just wanted to say that I have done it here and it is an incredibly rewarding experience. I don't know how your battery farms compare to ours here but I assume they are similar and thus the hens will be a similar state. It is not unusual for them to die within the first few months and many do not live more than say a year or 18 months, which I think is important to know, but it's not unheard for them to live many long years either. I took on six in June 2018 and have just one left but I don't regret it. They are lovely, friendly, docile birds and just like other chickens they each have their own characters which start to shine as they recover.

Oh I would love to follow along on their recovery if you're able to do this.

The biggest obstacle that comes to mind for me is your existing flock. Quarantine should be very strict, and the hens will have to gain quite a bit of strength before they could stand up to the normal backyard, healthy flock.

Back
Top Bottom