Adoptive broody pecking at chicks

kathrync

Songster
10 Years
Apr 25, 2013
I have a Wyandotte hen that hatched a brood of chicks last year successfully, and she went broody again. So, I put some day old hatchery chicks under her tonight. She seemed to accept them, but she did try to peck at a couple of them, and even pulled one around by it’s leg. They are all cozy now sleeping in their nesting area, but I’m a little worried. Do you think one might of sleeping with them will solidify their attachment? The chicks didn’t seem to understand that they needed to go under the broody, I had to physically put them under her wings.

I have a Wyandotte hen that hatched a brood of chicks last year successfully, and she went broody again. So, I put some day old hatchery chicks under her tonight. She seemed to accept them, but she did try to peck at a couple of them, and even pulled one around by it’s leg. They are all cozy now sleeping in their nesting area, but I’m a little worried. Do you think one might of sleeping with them will solidify their attachment? The chicks didn’t seem to understand that they needed to go under the broody, I had to physically put them under her wings.
I think your broody will accept the chicks since she didn't immediately reject them, and tonight spent sleeping together should help create a bond. But I would get up before dawn tomorrow and monitor how your broody interacts with the chicks tomorrow morn. I've had broody hens treat adopted chicks similarly when first introduced, but those broodies did accept the chicks.

I think your broody will accept the chicks since she didn't immediately reject them, and tonight spent sleeping together should help create a bond. But I would get up before dawn tomorrow and monitor how your broody interacts with the chicks tomorrow morn. I've had broody hens treat adopted chicks similarly when first introduced, but those broodies did accept the chicks.
Broody hen has accepted her chickies! Unfortunately, she accidentally crushed one during the night, but that’s just the risk we take sometimes. I went outside this morning at dawn to make sure she didn’t peck them again, and she was acting very gentle and sweet when they popped their little heads out from under her. So relieved!

Back
Top Bottom