Ador vs ChickenGuard vs Omlet door

Pics

petuniaSD

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2013
San Diego, CA
Would love to hear your opinion if you have any of these automatic doors. I’ve narrowed my selection down to these three because they are reliable according to reviews, they can be programmed, and aesthetics. I’ll be installing it into hardware cloth, so I’ll make a frame. Not sure if I can do this with the Chicken Guard. I saw that I can with the other two. Thoughts?

-Ador automatic door​
-Chicken Guard​
-Omlet auto door.

I have the Chicken Guard, it just has 4 holes for screws so as long as you mount it on to your frame (or bolt it onto hardware cloth) it would work fine.

Haven't used the other two so can't compare but I'm happy with the Chicken Guard, it has been very reliable so far. It uses 4 x AA batteries and I'm replacing them almost every 4 months - not sure what others get from this but thought they'd last longer than that?

Haven't used the other two so can't compare but I'm happy with the Chicken Guard, it has been very reliable so far. It uses 4 x AA batteries and I'm replacing them almost every 4 months - not sure what others get from this but thought they'd last longer than that?

The batteries should last longer than that. I replace mine every 12 months? 16 months? Which model do you have and what setting do you use? I have the standard one and have it set to timer - perhaps a more powerful motor would eat up more juice?

I would imagine local climate could play a part in how long batteries last?
I am thinking of installing one too. Do you install them outside or inside the coop? I guess if you install it inside out of the elements, they will last longer?

Possibly... didn't think about that!

I installed mine inside the coop (normally they're installed outside). Protects the motor from the elements (yes it's waterproofed but why not provide extra protection if possible) and makes it less likely for the door to freeze in the rails if using a guillotine style door.

The batteries should last longer than that. I replace mine every 12 months? 16 months? Which model do you have and what setting do you use? I have the standard one and have it set to timer - perhaps a more powerful motor would eat up more juice?

I have the extreme with locking door. It's set to open on timer or daylight and close on the timer so it's only operating twice a day - do you think it would be better just on a timer and not use the sensor? The cable is running over a pulley but I've checked it and it seems to be smoothly running and not dragging, etc.

Although it's installed outside it is still undercover and well sheltered.

I would imagine local climate could play a part in how long batteries last?

I'm in the UK so it's reasonably mild compared to a lot of the USA and Europe. It hasn't been below freezing since I installed it.

I have the extreme with locking door. It's set to open on timer or daylight and close on the timer so it's only operating twice a day - do you think it would be better just on a timer and not use the sensor? The cable is running over a pulley but I've checked it and it seems to be smoothly running and not dragging, etc.

Not sure if the sensor uses up more power. The extreme motor probably does overall as it's designed to pull a heavier load than the standard.

Back
Top Bottom