ADOR1 Automatic Coop Door?

An automatic door would be great but how would you know if all your chickens got inside when they were supposed to. The door could shut while one was still out, distracted by something. I guess it's good while you are away and a sitter doesn't have to worry about doing a round up.

My door was installed for a full three weeks before I left for vacation and not once did any of the chooks get stuck outside, they were always in long before the door closed at dusk (almost dark). The great thing about the ADOR1 is that it has a feature called "last call" which you can enable - essentially it opens for a few minutes after it has closed the first time for any stragglers that may be left outside.

WOO HOO -- shipping confirmation received.
wee.gif
Estimated arrival August 2nd!
fl.gif
fl.gif

I have had some chickens get locked out. I still go out to check and have some slow learners. I have recently added 4 newcomers (BO's) to the bunch. My birds actually function as 2 flocks sharing space. There is a 10 bird flock that is older and bigger birds. The flock of 4 BO's gets bullied around some but they are getting bigger and are not picked on quite as much now. These 4 have gotten locked out perhaps because they were hesitant to go in. I have 3 of my SL Wyandottes that get locked out but I think that may be because they are picking on the 4 smaller birds. 2 of my SLW's are named Dumb and Dumber and that may be the problem right there.
Leaving on vacation on Saturday for 4 days and told the sitter that if they get locked out leave them out. They will wise up.
I like my ADOR1 but I also miss time spent at the coop letting everyone out and again at night putting everyone to bed. They are all just hilarious to watch.

Does anyone know how the Ador1 reacts to shade? Our run is 6 feet tall and the top is netted, however, we have a tarp on one end of the run to give the chickens some shade. The tarp is not directly over where the door would be installed, but does slightly block some sunlight to it. Is the door so sensitive that it will affect the door opening and closing? That is one of the factors I will consider before purchasing the Ador1. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I wish they'd go on sale....like 50% off on sale. :\

Sure, but I can tell you that it is worth every penny in peace of mind, ability to sleep beyond 5:00am, or to come home late on occasion. Not to mention that its easier to get a chicken sitter if they don't have to open and close the coop every day.

I have had some chickens get locked out. I still go out to check and have some slow learners. I have recently added 4 newcomers (BO's) to the bunch. My birds actually function as 2 flocks sharing space. There is a 10 bird flock that is older and bigger birds. The flock of 4 BO's gets bullied around some but they are getting bigger and are not picked on quite as much now. These 4 have gotten locked out perhaps because they were hesitant to go in. I have 3 of my SL Wyandottes that get locked out but I think that may be because they are picking on the 4 smaller birds. 2 of my SLW's are named Dumb and Dumber and that may be the problem right there.
Leaving on vacation on Saturday for 4 days and told the sitter that if they get locked out leave them out. They will wise up.
I like my ADOR1 but I also miss time spent at the coop letting everyone out and again at night putting everyone to bed. They are all just hilarious to watch.

Lol, love the names! I don't miss 'having' to get up to let them out...but I still wake up when they come out...then I lay in bed being lazy til the come hollering for me at my window lol.

I still go out and sit with them until they all go to bed. I agree, they are so entertaining :)

Does anyone know how the Ador1 reacts to shade?  Our run is 6 feet tall and the top is netted, however, we have a tarp on one end of the run to give the chickens some shade.  The tarp is not directly over where the door would be installed, but does slightly block some sunlight to it.  Is the door so sensitive that it will affect the door opening and closing?  That is one of the factors I will consider before purchasing the Ador1.  Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Shade would have no effect on the opening or closing because there is no shade at the time the door opens or closes because it opens at dawn and closes at dusk.

i would love it, but we are on a fixed income and $199.00 is a lot to us, so i guess we will go close coop at night and open in morning, besides we have young chicks we just moved into big coop so we keep them in longer to eat without the older group.

Does anyone know how the Ador1 reacts to shade?  Our run is 6 feet tall and the top is netted, however, we have a tarp on one end of the run to give the chickens some shade.  The tarp is not directly over where the door would be installed, but does slightly block some sunlight to it.  Is the door so sensitive that it will affect the door opening and closing?  That is one of the factors I will consider before purchasing the Ador1.  Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Shade will not affect the ADOR1... The following excerpt is from the AdoreStore.com website; "....Coming up with a reliable design that was not fooled by dark clouds or shadows was something we had done before. We may be new to chicken coops, but innovative and reliable electronic design and software is not magic... it is what we do. The ADOR1 Auto Chicken Door looks at the ambient light level outside and averages it over time. At night, , the door stays closed. We added a delay on closure because experience dictated that people would rather the door close a little late because some chickens do not go in right away. We think the factory setting on the light level is sufficient for most cases, but if you want to, you can change the timing yourself."

Back
Top Bottom