Adorae’s Family Flock and Farm

Pics

Adorae

Songster
Feb 15, 2022
Welcome everyone! This is my attempt to catalogue my journey into chicken husbandry. I will be using my little section here as a way to consolidate all of my chicken project ideas. I am going to attempt to dabble in making my own meat birds. I have enough room to have more than one flock, so I will have a small egg bird flock, but I really enjoy eating chicken and so does the rest of my family, so I hope to create my own.

I have my first group of day old chickens being shipped from Murray McMurray next week. This order has 10 Whiteing True Blues 7 of which are supposed to be female, 5 straight run Dark Cornish, and a surprise chick, which should be fun.

My other group of chicks I will be picking up from Cackle Hatchery myself on April 11, since it’s not a terrible drive. This group is all SR and will include 5 Lakenvelder, 5 Colombian Rock, 6 Turken, and 5 Silkies.

My set up consists of an 11x13 chicken coop I have nearly finished building and, eventually, to very large fixed runs. If things go favorably I will build more breeding coops and use the original as a grow out coop for the meaties. Oh, I also have a prefab coop that can hold up to 5 chickens that I plan to use as a breeding coop/chicken jail/hospital once I get it put together.

I live with my family on about 10 acres. My son is 2.5 years old and my daughter is 2 months old. I’m waiting to raise my own chickens as a way to provide the healthiest possible food for my family. I love cooking good food, growing things in my garden, and I very excited to add the chickens onto my list of projects.

Please feel free to ask questions and make suggestions if you want. Here’s some photos of the coop as it is, and I will update with new when it is closer to completion. I will also update when I get my chicks next week!

Attachments

• A0594718-EFDE-4EEA-A17B-E96763327D30.jpeg
    A0594718-EFDE-4EEA-A17B-E96763327D30.jpeg
    744.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 80268DAE-9E2A-4E3B-AAE7-D31D4B5B3E46.jpeg
    80268DAE-9E2A-4E3B-AAE7-D31D4B5B3E46.jpeg
    800.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 79365B18-A89C-46E8-81D8-6239DC0DB009.jpeg
    79365B18-A89C-46E8-81D8-6239DC0DB009.jpeg
    600.9 KB · Views: 7
  • BFE720A3-E4FC-472D-9C1D-AF412E039EC1.jpeg
    BFE720A3-E4FC-472D-9C1D-AF412E039EC1.jpeg
    723.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 4EBAB0BD-CB4E-4DA8-94C5-0673987F2BE5.jpeg
    4EBAB0BD-CB4E-4DA8-94C5-0673987F2BE5.jpeg
    708.6 KB · Views: 6
Welcome everyone! This is my attempt to catalogue my journey into chicken husbandry. I will be using my little section here as a way to consolidate all of my chicken project ideas. I am going to attempt to dabble in making my own meat birds. I have enough room to have more than one flock, so I will have a small egg bird flock, but I really enjoy eating chicken and so does the rest of my family, so I hope to create my own.

I have my first group of day old chickens being shipped from Murray McMurray next week. This order has 10 Whiteing True Blues 7 of which are supposed to be female, 5 straight run Dark Cornish, and a surprise chick, which should be fun.

My other group of chicks I will be picking up from Cackle Hatchery myself on April 11, since it’s not a terrible drive. This group is all SR and will include 5 Lakenvelder, 5 Colombian Rock, 6 Turken, and 5 Silkies.

My set up consists of an 11x13 chicken coop I have nearly finished building and, eventually, to very large fixed runs. If things go favorably I will build more breeding coops and use the original as a grow out coop for the meaties. Oh, I also have a prefab coop that can hold up to 5 chickens that I plan to use as a breeding coop/chicken jail/hospital once I get it put together.

I live with my family on about 10 acres. My son is 2.5 years old and my daughter is 2 months old. I’m waiting to raise my own chickens as a way to provide the healthiest possible food for my family. I love cooking good food, growing things in my garden, and I very excited to add the chickens onto my list of projects.

Please feel free to ask questions and make suggestions if you want. Here’s some photos of the coop as it is, and I will update with new when it is closer to completion. I will also update when I get my chicks next week!
How exciting!
Do you plan to breed your chickens?

How exciting!
Do you plan to breed your chickens?
Yes! I’ve got quite a few ideas, though it will depend on how long it takes for the chickens to mature, and what I end up with for my SRs. I guess my first try will be the Dark Cornish with the Colombian Rock to see what happens. I understand the genetics for the chicken at the stores is a guarded secret, but I’ve not really seen the results of that cross recently on the forum. I’ve spent the last year reading as much as I can on here to try to plan this all out.

What are SRs?
I wonder if DNA testing would reveal anything on the "secret" genetics.
I've always wanted Silkies! They are quite cute.

SR means straight run, so the hatchery didn’t identify if it’s a pullet or cockerel.
And I bet genetics testing would help a lot with that, but I don’t want an exact copy of them, since it very difficult to keep them alive after they have hit processing weight.

Throwing an update out here since it’s only 66 hours before I head down to get my chicks. I’ve been making these plans for over a year now, I can believe that I’m finally at this point.

All windows are installed in the coop now, and one of the 2 doors. I think I’m up to 3/5 of the siding being done. I also set up a temporary brooder using the pack-n-play for the first week or so while I create a brooder space in the coop.

On Monday, I have family stuff on Sunday, I plan to drag the plywood over to the coop and start covering the floor and the walls. I can’t finish the siding until later this next week when my mom will be around to help me.

So Cackle got my order slightly wrong, they gave me 6 silkies instead of 6 turken, which I didn’t catch until I got home. But I did catch the silkie with cross beak. They gave me another silkie, but wouldn’t take the cross beak one back. I’m pretty upset I’m gonna have to watch the baby fade away since it’s pretty severe.

I got a couple pictures of them in the brooder. Tomorrow I will try to get some more of them all.

Attachments

• 302495C0-CAF1-4CA2-9E2D-5F379E432B5F.jpeg
    302495C0-CAF1-4CA2-9E2D-5F379E432B5F.jpeg
    525.5 KB · Views: 8
  • F6E8F4C9-4A61-43F8-8D78-56F242F4294E.jpeg
    F6E8F4C9-4A61-43F8-8D78-56F242F4294E.jpeg
    502.6 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom