Adult hen rescued--what breed?

somanychickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
Some neighbors came over one night and asked us to come and get this 'mean biting rooster' out of their neighborhood...this is what we found...

boys054.jpg

The poor thing has been debeaked, and both wings and her tail were clipped. Her tail has started to started to grow back some, but not a whole lot yet. Any idea what she is? TIA!

it doesn't look like her wings were clipped, it looks like they were chopped off!

I know!
sad.png
I know people clip one wing so they won't fly, but both wings are just as short as they could be, and her tail too--why would people cut off her tail??? Anyway, thanks so much everyone for the ID--I'm glad to know! She has fit in very well with our hens, and is enjoying a nice life now!
smile.png

Quote:
I know!
sad.png
I know people clip one wing so they won't fly, but both wings are just as short as they could be, and her tail too--why would people cut off her tail??? Anyway, thanks so much everyone for the ID--I'm glad to know! She has fit in very well with our hens, and is enjoying a nice life now!
smile.png

I think the term is Pinning a chickens wings.When they are day olds,the method is to clip off the third digit of a chickens wing so that they cannot grow out primary wing feathers to prevent flying.Its an easy but sad process that we DONT do here at the funny farm.

I bought from a friend a golden comet hen that was wing pinned and he did that,also the tail was pinned off.Sort of sad,but we couldn't grab her,so she did have the advantage of escape.
lau.gif

The advantage of pinning: you wont have to trim feathers
Disadvantage: they cant be show birds, they will be just for production.

That was the reason he pinned his chicks.And probably the hen was from a chicken factory that escaped,or bought,then escaped.It seems she will have a good life with you.

We clip our chickens feathers here,but just one wing for the hens,both for the roos.They grow out,we clip em again,once a month and clip the top beak for overbite.

Back
Top Bottom