adult hens not laying

cleigh9579

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
arlington TX
I bought 4 adult hens from a feed store the beggining of september. I live in DFW Texas. I bought 2 barred rocks and 2 EE's. After a week one laid an egg, outside in the dirt. Since then no eggs. I found a smashed empty shell in the yard last week. I am thinking blue jays. We have a ton. I just do not understand why they are not laying. They put themselves to bed and i lock them up safe and sound until 7am. They have a large run that they forage in daily. Oyster shell offered and fresh water daily. Help. What else can i do? what am i doing wrong? wanted to add that one of the BRs sings the egg song since the day i got them, the rest are silent.

Last edited:
I would also look all over the place for eggs. Hens like to lay in strange places. If they have not been locked up in the coop and run for a few days before you let them free range, they may be laying elsewhere. It's also a good idea to make sure you don't have an egg eater! So, I'd lock them up for a few days to a week and check the nests often. That way you can get an idea of who is laying and around what time. Hope that helps!

Hi, neighbor! I am about an hour to your East.
frow.gif

I noticed in your sig you talk about an mia python... have you found him? He might be munching those eggs, and if he gets hungry he may go after the birds as well. Domestic snakes will frequenly stay close to home if they escape. If he isn't the issue, then I second the idea to keep them locked down for a day or so.

If I may, where did you get adult feedstore birds? I've only seen them sell babies. Also, any possibility the birds are older than you thought? Happened to us, we just keep them for love at this point!

Poppy

I got them at red barn in kennedale. I will take some pics of the girls. I am pretty sure they are roughly a year. The python was lost in the house last week. Its to cold for it to survive outside right now. Plus we are pretty sure its in the back room. My girls have a 4x5 box coop and a 36ftx24ft run that they stay in. No free range outside of the run. Dont want to chance anything. Any more help would be great.

Back
Top Bottom