Adult rooster has a white tissue-like substance in his eye - not foam

RaisingFlorida

In the Brooder
Premium Feather Member
Sep 22, 2022
Hello! I have been reading posts in BYC for years, even before I had chickens! I live in Florida and have now had a small backyard flock of 5 hens and 1 rooster for almost 2 years. This is my first post, and it is a request for help identifying a problem in my rooster's eye.

His left eye has a white "thing" sticking out of the bottom corner of his eye. I have looked at a lot of pictures online and haven't been able to identify it.
20220922_101030.jpg

Here is another close up:
20220922_101033.jpg

This is his other side, the "good" side, for comparison:
20220922_100906.jpg

Today is the first time I've seen it, and I check my chickens frquently.

He does not exhibit any other symptoms and is behaving/eating/pooping normally.

Can anybody help tell me what this is or point me in the right direction? I would prefer to treat this myself if possible as there is no poultry vet in my immediate area. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you for the advice!
Update: I went back later ready to rinse his eye and the white debris was gone! I was surprised because I had tried to gently wipe it away myself when I first saw it and it wouldn't budge. I guess he either cleaned it himself or maybe the nictating membrane was swollen from slight irritation and it got better on its own. Maybe it was a stubborn eye winkie, like what we get when we sleep. Very strange. I decided not to do anything to his eye at this time since it seemed better, but if it comes back I will rinse it right away and apply some eye ointment.

Hello! I have been reading posts in BYC for years, even before I had chickens! I live in Florida and have now had a small backyard flock of 5 hens and 1 rooster for almost 2 years. This is my first post, and it is a request for help identifying a problem in my rooster's eye.

His left eye has a white "thing" sticking out of the bottom corner of his eye. I have looked at a lot of pictures online and haven't been able to identify it. View attachment 3268136

View attachment 3268137

View attachment 3268138

Can anybody help tell me what this is or point me in the right direction? I would prefer to treat this myself if possible as there is no poultry vet in my immediate area. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
My boy gets stuff like this when his chronic respiratory acts up, his eyes also will get a little watery bubbly and his nose will drain. So just be on the watch just in case it's something more :) sounds like it was just that once though! 🤞❤️

His left eye has a white "thing" sticking out of the bottom corner of his eye. I have looked at a lot of pictures online and haven't been able to identify it. View attachment 3268136

View attachment 3268137

View attachment 3268138

Yes I had the same problem with my rooster! It was white and mucusy and he wouldn't open his eye unless he didn't know where he was... it was gone the next day but the skin around his eye is still lighter then his better eye. He will close it sometimes but he mostly has it open and I was wondering what had happened?

Back
Top Bottom