Adventures in Incubating Shipped Eggs

Pics
I recently learned about the Pavlovskaya chicken. This is what I want next, maybe!
"A Russian myth describes the origin of this exotic breed as an illicit tryst between a chicken and grouse."
I didn't know any world mythology was based on illicit chicken trysts. :gig

webpavys.jpg
What a gorgeous chicken!

I need a bigger coop.

I think your analysis and review of the hatching is really important. This has been a learning experience for all of us, as much as an emotional experience.

Here's my own summary of my hatches:
May Hatching - Papa's Poultry shipped eggs
-Ordered 4 eggs
-Received 6 eggs, with unusually large air cells -- 3 Cream Legbar, 2 Lemon Orpington, 1 Jubilee Orpington
-5 never showed development, or were early quitters
--Only one egg made it to "lockdown" (under a broody at that point), and it did hatch.
That's a 16 % hatch rate, which is rather abysmal.

Would I order from Papa's again? Not likely, unless someone else let me know they recently got good eggs that were developing well, and it was a breed/colour I couldn't get elsewhere. That being said, the birds I have hatched from his eggs have been great!

June Hatch
-Set 29 eggs from 4 eBay sellers (4 breeds) in two incubators
-13 chicks made it to lockdown
-In the higher temp, autoturning incubator, 5 of the 6 chicks hatched
-In the lower temp, hand turned incubator, only 3 of the 7 chicks hatched, and one hatched on Day 24, after help
-8 chicks hatched from 29 eggs set, which is 27%. Pretty low, even for shipped eggs.
-This was skewed by the Legbar-Olandsk cross, because only one of those 10 eggs hatched.

What I did learn from this is that laying the shipped eggs on their side and putting them into the autoturner on Day 1 (after the requisite end-up rest for a day after arrival), did not give the eggs any disadvantage. They did better than the eggs that I set big end up and avoided turning for the first four days.

Will I order shipped eggs again? Yes! Will I try to get a broody to hatch for me? Yes!
If my broody is too tiny to hatch more than a couple of eggs, will I incubate? Yes
Am I grateful for this experience with this great hatch-a-long group? Big yes!!:highfive:

Love seeing all the chickies. I may order more eggs in a few weeks. Would love to hatch with you again.

Thanks for your analysis. It confirms that getting even a 50% hatch rate from shipped eggs is no easy feat.

It was great hatching with you as well. I would love to follow your hatching adventures with your next set of shipped eggs. Sadly, I probably won't be hatching until next spring. Unless I get a broody later this summer. :fl Then I'll hatch again. Can't have a broody sitting around for nothing.

I had a 50% hatch rate in an absolutely ridiculous looking DIY incubator, but one had to be culled after 2 days. So 2 healthy goslings out of 6 eggs.

Not bad really. Especially since goose eggs are apparently really difficult to incubate, even without the shipping factor. It was a heck of an experience, for sure.

I had a 50% hatch rate in an absolutely ridiculous looking DIY incubator, but one had to be culled after 2 days. So 2 healthy goslings out of 6 eggs.

Not bad really. Especially since goose eggs are apparently really difficult to incubate, even without the shipping factor. It was a heck of an experience, for sure.
That's fantastic to get two. Is the 2nd hatchling as cute as the first?

Day 12 of Shipped eggs. I will refresh your memories...

Irdered 12 black silkie eggs. Received 17 eggs from Florida (I live in Calif.) Post office messed up and delivered a day late. All had detached aircells.

9 eggs arrived from Mississippi the same day. 8 black silkies & 1 extra (blue/splash) All in perfect condition. No detached air cells.

On day 7 I culled. All 8 of the black silkie eggs from Mississippi as nine developed. The extra one did. Culled 7 of the Florida eggs for non development (4) and blood rings (3).

Day 10 culled 1 more blood ring from FL.

Today is day 12 and all 9 remaining eggs (out of 26) are doing great!

I am getting impatient though! Lol. Wish it was hatch day! I do have credits with both breeders. FL one cuz the post office was late with their guarantee. The 2nd cuz nine of the blacks developed.

So far I am happy with my experience.

Question... It's getting hot here. Not sure if I should have eggs shipped in the heat?

Question... It's getting hot here. Not sure if I should have eggs shipped in the heat?

My gut says that I would be concerned that either the eggs would start developing while still in transit or, worse, they might get damaged if the temperatures inside the shipping box got over 101. I would take a close look at expected temperatures and try to research the issue some more if you were thinking about placing another order.

It's 3 days since the last egg hatched under my broody hen. She rejected the last chick that hatched so I brought it in and put it in the brooder. I haven't been able to collect the unhatched eggs because she is crazy! Went out to check on her and the babies and one of the eggs left in the nest had hatched. It's been 3 days! I grabbed the baby because she rejected this one as well, and the 3 remaining eggs. I stuck the eggs in the brooder. My question is can I see if anymore will hatch in there? The eggs were expensive and I would like to get as many chicks as I can. Do I need to supplement humidity? I tried to candle them but they are welsummer eggs and I can't see a thing. Thanks for any help! ps. I don't have an incubator

Back
Top Bottom