Adventures in Incubating Shipped Eggs

Pics
Thank you! This hatch will be with quail eggs from an asian market. Afterwards I'll try Trader Joe's fertile or brown eggs from asian market (the asian market eggs aren't labeled as fertile or free range, just eggs placed in plain cartons secured with rubber bands, we've cracked some eggs open with half developed embryos before so guessing they're housed with wandering roos).
:eek:

This is similar to how my eggs arrived.

Mine too. I was very pleased with the packing. Based on air sacs, I suspect, however, that 3 of 4 lemon orpington mix eggs were around two weeks old. They were "on sale", but I'd rather had pricier, fresher ones. We shall see what hatches.

May I recommend Asian grocery stores.
:lau
The Man awaits your return.

Are you going to candle today?
:D
Ha! I woke up thinking about this. I really don't think there is anything to see yet, however. I don't want o start seeing nothing and bumming myself out that the eggs are bad. Maybe tomorrow I'll sample a couple before I put the turner on. Day 3 is usually when you can start to see the spider.

I have hatched all shipped eggs so far this year, AND it's my first times ever incubating! The first batch 4 hatched out if 12, the second batch 7 hatched out of 17 (I had a second set in with these, I'll let you know about those in a minute). This is my third batch, so far, 10 out of 12 are doing SO good & we are 14 days in (they are silver laced barnvelders, I'm so excited!!)

Now the set in with the second batch, I believe it is something with the sellers eggs... The first set was very porous (insides literally leaking through the shell) & only 4 of 18 even started to develop. They replaced them, and the second batch i only see 2 are starting but I'm going to check again in a few days & I'm praying they make it!

So... All of that to say, I guess it really depends on the quality of the eggs & perhaps even the handling of the eggs in shipment. I haven't candled any before I put them in, I let them sit 24 hours with large end up & in they go

Good luck & happy hatching! I can't wait to see your results

I have hatched all shipped eggs so far this year, AND it's my first times ever incubating! The first batch 4 hatched out if 12, the second batch 7 hatched out of 17 (I had a second set in with these, I'll let you know about those in a minute). This is my third batch, so far, 10 out of 12 are doing SO good & we are 14 days in (they are silver laced barnvelders, I'm so excited!!)

Now the set in with the second batch, I believe it is something with the sellers eggs... The first set was very porous (insides literally leaking through the shell) & only 4 of 18 even started to develop. They replaced them, and the second batch i only see 2 are starting but I'm going to check again in a few days & I'm praying they make it!

So... All of that to say, I guess it really depends on the quality of the eggs & perhaps even the handling of the eggs in shipment. I haven't candled any before I put them in, I let them sit 24 hours with large end up & in they go

Good luck & happy hatching! I can't wait to see your results
My fingers are crossed for your third batch. Let us know how the hatch goes.

I'm dying to know how many of my eggs start to develop. Incubating is such a game of wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom