Adventures in Urban Chicken Keeping on the Left Coast (aka Chooksworth)

Shingles for my nest box arrived. Guess that means I should put it together this weekend ... Then maybe I can install it sometime in February. Still debating the best way to open up the side of the coop for this (carefully remove the siding vs. use a sawzall to open up a hole).

Made 6" flock blocks last night. Hung one up this morning. We'll see how it fared when I get home.

I've been thinking about trim boards. Cover those raw edges.

Flock block was a major success. Will have to make these a semi regular thing.

Nice!  
Next step to prop halfway and learn the lid movement?

Yep. There's a second bolt hole that allows the treadle and cover to move, but not fully close. And the underside of the lid has padding so it won't clank when it shuts.

Last edited:
So far the Grandpa's Feeder is a great success. The birds seem MUCH more relaxed and it's done wonders for eliminating food aggression issues within the flock. For example, nobody chases Phoebe (the new girl) away from the open feeder like they did with the bowls of fermented feed, and now she's mingling with them more (she naps with them and she seems to have crept up from being bottom bird to being at least on par with the lower status blue, Babs.

A few pics of them out during the recent storm (18 weeks old now):

Last edited:
Started the nesting boxes. Got the basic build all done. Will add the roof and single them when I install them.

Vester.

Babs, Clorinda, and Phoebe

Clorinda mugging for the camera.

Sylvester next to a 5G bucket for perspective. He's 19 weeks old and HUGE!

Got some more of the garden done.

Last edited:
My favorite pic from yesterday. The giant dog laying right next to the netting. I missed the shot of Venetia trying to catch his tail.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom