Announcement Advertising Updates - Premium Feather Membership - PFM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to mention this, but seems to be. My concern is simply the amount of ads I'm suddenly having to wade through to navigate. While I understand the need for advertising, the gate swings both ways. The users like to visit the site for content, but the site also benefits from users and the content they provide. The site is merely the platform. The content found here is what matters and is of value.

While I would like to think my contributions are helpful and of value, I am not entirely insensitive to the amount of ads I have have to navigate to participate. Once it becomes more onerous to participate than any benefit I get out of it, I'll drop out and won't be back.

As it is, I'm having to click on an X an awful lot to get ads out of my way so I can see what is going on. And scrolling through a lot of ads to follow content. Just saying.

As it is, I'm having to click on an X an awful lot to get ads out of my way so I can see what is going on. And scrolling through a lot of ads to follow content.

Thanks for the feedback. We definitely want to find the balance as you mentioned and absolutely value our member's contributions and engagement with the site.

Regarding "click on an x an awful lot": Can you please clarify what you mean by this? First off, there shouldn't be any ads that are blocking or getting directly in the way of content. If they are, please screenshot and report them. Second: the only "x" I know of is to report problematic ads to Google, etc. Is this what you mean?

Ok all... in our attempts to make everything "better" we've done the following:

We've been tweaking settings and we also removed one of the top banner ads (in desktop).

We'll also be adding back the "Sponsor Tiles" at the bottom of each page. These will be chicken specific advertisers that directly support BYC.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to mention this, but seems to be. My concern is simply the amount of ads I'm suddenly having to wade through to navigate. While I understand the need for advertising, the gate swings both ways. The users like to visit the site for content, but the site also benefits from users and the content they provide. The site is merely the platform. The content found here is what matters and is of value.

While I would like to think my contributions are helpful and of value, I am not entirely insensitive to the amount of ads I have have to navigate to participate. Once it becomes more onerous to participate than any benefit I get out of it, I'll drop out and won't be back.

As it is, I'm having to click on an X an awful lot to get ads out of my way so I can see what is going on. And scrolling through a lot of ads to follow content. Just saying.

X2!

I understand that we can buy a PFM and get rid of ads, but I figure the businesses that buy ad space would rather we didn’t :D

But on this page alone, there are only 5 posts, but 3 ads. (Two being identical, I may add). Going back a few pages, it looks like 3 ads on every page?
Is there a way to put more ads on the first pages of a thread, but less on subsequent pages?

Thanks for the feedback.

We've been analyzing some of the most popular media, information, news, etc. sites on the web, and are paying close attention to the number and locations of ads in both the desktop and mobile versions of the sites.

We've found that BYC has as many, if not fewer paid placements than most of these sites. Some of them even force a "paywall" once you get to a certain number of views. We haven't found any that offered a program / way to completely remove all advertising from the browsing experience.

None of our decisions are set-in-stone, and we're always going to be tweaking the site (not just advertising, but also features, processes, etc.) to do what is best for the long-term health and sustainability of our amazing community.

... i tried to click on an ad and it didnt work....the ad loaded into something else when i tried to click it. Now it isnt showing up even when i refresh the page, go to multiple pages looking for the ad. :( did its timer just finish when i was trying to click it? I did look at it for a while before i decided i wanted to see what it was.

i tried to click on an ad and it didnt work.
Sometimes the advertisers don't code the ads properly and the images don't click through. It's frustrating when it's something you'd like to check out!

the ad loaded into something else when i tried to click it
Ah, yeah... the ads usually auto-rotate every 30 seconds. Sorry it slipped away, I've had that happen too :(

Back
Top Bottom