Advice for a dying pigeon

I have many different types of birds, and what you describe does sound like end of life. I have witnessed this with my diamond doves... Additionally, I believe you are correct in that it is not a communicable disease.

Your peep does not sound like he is suffering, just fading away. He is in the environment and peeps he knows and feels safe. I would not subject him to anything that would introduce any stress, new sounds, smells, etc. An animal's senses are so much more honed than ours. While the natural response is to help in some way, I would keep him comfortable, send your worries and anxieties off in a bubble, and honor nature's course.

Thank you. That was my thought. If I see any signs of suffering or pain, I will take him to my mom's office for euthanasia.

I've been lucky so far over my 6 years of keeping homers--I've never had one of my pigeons die inside my loft (only lost birds flying). I keep my loft very clean, and my birds get weekly pro biotics and apple cider vinegar and garlic in their water. They are very healthy.

But last week I noticed one of my cock birds (4-5 year old) seemed a bit listless. He usually will move away from me if I touch him, but he did not move. He seemed to have poor balance and have a hard time keeping his footing on his perch. I isolated him in a cage in my house with food, grit and water treated with 4 in 1 antibiotic and electolytes. He seemed better after a day, so I put him back in the loft. This morning I went in the loft and he was on the floor all puffed up and hunched over in the corner. I didn't want to scare him or make him uncomfortable, so I left him there. I don't think it's a communicable sickness, because all my other birds seem perfectly fine. I thought about bringing him inside in his own cage, but decided that might not be the best way to spend his last moments. I think there's a good chance he'll be dead by the time I get home from work, but if he's not, I'd appreciate any advice from you guys. My mom is a vet, and she agreed since my other birds are healthy (and my birds don't leave the loft in the winter) it's not likely a communicable disease, and is most likely neurological or organ failure.
How's his weight and droppings? Mouth clear? vent clear? You probably should have kept him on the meds if he was seemingly doing better. If he's still alive and you want to give him a better chance at surviving, definitely separate him from the rest. There is not much love in the animal world and pigeons are no exception. If they see an extremely ill or suffering bird in their flock they will often times attack it and end up killing it.

I would like to add,... In the situation you describe, and really, any end of life stage, the peep could be thirsty and not able to get to water. I've seen this in cats, particularly. We, humans, experience this as well... As the kidneys shut down, and the cat enters end stage renal failure, the rear legs fail, walking becomes impossible. If the cat is not in any pain or discomfort, I do what I mentioned before, and let nature take its course while being there for the cat. I offer water via syringe and this is often welcomed! For birds, you can add a little electrolytes, touch the top of the beak with a syringe, and let the drop run down the side of the beak into the mouth, thereby allowing the bird to respond whether he wants to drink. This way you do not chance the bird aspirating and offer him the option of taking in fluid.

Thank you. I considered this, but was concerned handling him would stress him out. If he is still alive when I get home from work I am going to pick him up and get a sense of how stressed he is and decide from there whether to offer water via syringe.

I appreciate everybody's input.

How's his weight and droppings? Mouth clear? vent clear? You probably should have kept him on the meds if he was seemingly doing better. If he's still alive and you want to give him a better chance at surviving, definitely separate him from the rest. There is not much love in the animal world and pigeons are no exception. If they see an extremely ill or suffering bird in their flock they will often times attack it and end up killing it.

When I picked him up last week and brought him into the house his weight seemed a bit light. His droppings appeared just a bit watery, but not green. His vent appeared clear. I could not see much in his mouth. I checked for canker and did not see anything that would indicate canker. I considered putting him back in the cage in the house, but was concerned the stress of isolating him would make it worse.... Still might do that though.

Last edited:
Thank you. I considered this, but was concerned handling him would stress him out. If he is still alive when I get home from work I am going to pick him up and get a sense of how stressed he is and decide from there whether to offer water via syringe.

I appreciate everybody's input.
I handle sick and injured feral pigeons and they are calm enough to eat and preen in front of me, so I don’t think your bird will be too stressed. It’s strange that he seems to be dying, he’s young for a pigeon.
His vent appeared clear. I could not see much in his mouth. I checked for canker and did not see anything that would indicate canker. I considered putting him back in the cage in the house, but was concerned the stress of isolating him would make it worse.... Still might do that though.
If your house is warmer than the loft, I would bring him inside. Even if he dies, dying warm and without the possibility of brutality from other birds is a much better fate.

He had passed by the time I got home. He looked peaceful in the corner of the loft--just looked like he died laying down. He's in my freezer until spring when the ground thaws I'll bury him. RIP Jojo.

Back
Top Bottom