Hi and welcome to Backyard chickens. I love your introduction. I agree that chickens do play an important part in our lives. I have barred rock chickens and they are super sweet. They provide us eggs daily and greet us every morning when we go outside.
Sorry or the second reply, but your introduction was far too touching to ignore. I felt what you felt when you wrote. Please know that you are with a group that feels the same way as you. And what is so beautiful about this group is that there are many members that will stop what they are doing and help others with medical issues. Chickens definitely change ones life, and the first time you have them- this reality is unexpected. Welcome, and enjoy being in "like" company.
Thank you it feels like it. ❤️

I thought about posting this and decided to because I wish I knew some of the things I know now and can always learn more about having chickens 🐓 I’m speaking on chickens 🐔 but a lot of this might help other animals and you if you struggle at times.

I started having chickens in 2020 along with many. I was a city person and didn’t know anything about chickens. My mom grew up on a farm and talked about loving her chickens though.

I fell in love with them deeply. They fundamentally changed my life. I no longer eat chicken or any meat if I can help it. Sometimes I eat turkey but even that is hard for me. I could be the one weirdo but their happiness brings me happiness and their pain hurts me more than I expected. I’ve lost 2 chickens and saved one since then. THAT changed me as well. It made me doubt whether I could do this or care for them when they were sick.

I’ve euthanized a lot of animals in my 46 years. Chickens are the hardest animal I have had to let go of. If you are new to this or just can’t adjust to losing them, please know that it’s okay to cry, to be angry, to feel powerless and panic and think you never want another chicken. Been there….. still there. But it’s a small price to pay for having these little princesses and princes in your life and most days they will remind you why you go through it…. and you will become a better and more knowledgeable person for caring for them. Some people are not going to get it…. “It’s a chicken” but you know differently. They feed you and your family eggs, they keep pests out of the yard, and they run with their little heads down and their fluffy butt in the air when you visit or bring them treats. If they are like mine they love to be sung to and cuddled. You are not alone.

When you get your first flock they are beautiful and hopefully well! But no one prepared me for when they wouldn’t be and what I would need to know and do when they got sick. I’ve had a chicken lose a toe nail. She’s alive and kicking. I’ve handled bumble foot, egg bound and now sour crop. I even had a veterinarian come to my home and inspect my coop and they gave me a good grade. There are very few veterinarians for poultry/chickens which makes you the chicken doctor.

I thought I would start this so others could share their growing pains and blessings having and raising these little fluffs.

My advice so far:

Get your tools and set up a triage section so that you are always ready for that day.

Things in my toolkit:

Corid
Gloves
Homeo pet (cough, nose, anxiety relief)
Vet RX
Apple cider vinegar
Syringes (you may need a needle one for water belly which is not curable but draining prolongs life)
Antibiotic
Personal lubricants (yeh that is awkward)
Alcohol prep pads
Vetricyn plus
TUMS for calcium
Oregano (natural antibiotic)
Surgical tape
Qtips
Baby rash creme
Metamucil (sour crop)
Measuring spoons (feeding and measuring)
Epsom salt for egg bound bath
Nebulizer (breathing issues)
Towel

I hope others will share their crash cart of supplies too. Love and feathers 🪶

Cheers to chickens in great health
Thank you for sharing such valuable advice for new chicken parents! It's so important to be prepared for any health issues your feathered friends may encounter, and your list of tools and supplies is incredibly helpful. It's also great that you mentioned the emotional aspect of caring for chickens - it's normal to feel overwhelmed, sad, or even angry when dealing with their illness or loss. But you're right - the joy and companionship they bring to our lives is definitely worth it. Thanks again for sharing your experiences and advice!

Back
Top Bottom