Advice for new duck pond plz

Thank you thats exactly what im gonna do in a couple days. I see alot of feathers coming in and spring come quick here and gets hot fast
How in the world are you going to be able to clean the igloo? Does it come apart because the ducks are going to poop all over it? Mine seem to aim their butts right at the walls for some reason and you wouldn't believe how far up the walls they can aim! I'm a bit concerned about ventilation too. Ducks expel a massive amount moisture that needs to go somewhere especially in the winter.

How in the world are you going to be able to clean the igloo? Does it come apart because the ducks are going to poop all over it? Mine seem to aim their butts right at the walls for some reason and you wouldn't believe how far up the walls they can aim! I'm a bit concerned about ventilation too. Ducks expel a massive amount moisture that needs to go somewhere especially in the winter.
Usually the top and base of an igloo separate. Also, my ducks don't poop much in the duck house. The eat and may lay eggs there and spend the rest of their time outside by choice.

Yep the igloo comes apart at the base can take the whole top off ...also with the plastic i can hose it off if need be. It also has ventilation holes top & bottom. They will be under a roof as well as a hickory tree for shade and pen covered with bird netting as we have a hawk population.

Usually the top and base of an igloo separate. Also, my ducks don't poop much in the duck house. The eat and may lay eggs there and spend the rest of their time outside by choice.
wow, you're lucky! My ducks don't eat or drink in their house but they sure do poop in it. Every morning after I collect the eggs I clean out their poop masses.

Ok due to bedrock just below the surface...and a ruptured disc in my back a drastic change in plans.

Tomorrow a neighbor is coming with a bobcat to level the ground as my property is slanted. And also make a dirt ramp for access.

Will still have a fountain....redneck riveria

It has a drain plug & a sump pump

20200402_113338.jpg

Ok due to bedrock just below the surface...and a ruptured disc in my back a drastic change in plans.

Tomorrow a neighbor is coming with a bobcat to level the ground as my property is slanted. And also make a dirt ramp for access.

Will still have a fountain....redneck riveria

It has a drain plug & a sump pump

View attachment 2074583
Plant around it if you a bit more natural look. My ducks don't seem to bother hardy shrubs. Some low shrubs would nicely disguise the stock tank.

Old neighbor came down with a bobcat. We got it all leveled. My yard is on a slant so took a while to get right. I still have alot to get done back there. First another 20x60 run or pen going in so need to get the fence poles in & the fence up. The top is going to be covered in bird netting as we have a massive hawk problem. Then another chicken coop going up for bantys. When its all said & done will have 60+ layers. 20+ bantys & 20+ guineas. And 4 spoiled rotten ducks. Any thought's on the ducks sharing a run with a bunch of bantys? If I keep them together the ducks can have a huge pen to live in as well as their x-large pool. I read somewhere that ducks can hurt chickens trying to breed? Is this much of a problem?

I have 20 assorted bantys & that number will probably grow. Would like to give the ducks as much room as possible to be happy

20200404_145901.jpg
20200404_152828.jpg

Ok 2 updates:
2 new ducks a black swedish & my fav a blue swedish.
20200406_202153.jpg

20200406_201354.jpg

As for the pen, the fencing is up & done with gate installed and bird netting covering the whole enclosure. Old neighbor came down amd built a nice ramp. So all that needs dont is their house needs moved and im building a little roof for their food & to cover their house for shade. And the redneck fountain needs installed. Will move the ducks into their pen tomorrow.

Finally can move on to the next new pen & a banty coop that needs built as I have 25 assorted bantys in the brooder box & decided to keep them seperate from the main flock.

20200414_183922.jpg
20200414_192514.jpg
20200414_192505.jpg

Back
Top Bottom