Advice for rehoming neighbor's 2 year old hens to my house.

Chickrueg

In the Brooder
May 3, 2021
  1. I'm new to BYC and this is my first post. I'm also new to raising chickens. My neighbor is moving and I'm taking her 13 hens. They're 2 years old. What advice do you have for easing the move?

I am assuming that they are in a new coop (new to them?) Hopefully with an attached run. If so, then it is easy. Collect them at night, after they have roosted and it is dark, move them to your set up. Leave them in the coop/run for several days, and you should be good.

Clean water, and fresh feed is really all you need. Space is important, and multiple feeders are always a good idea, placed so that while eating at one station, a bird can't see any other birds at the other.

But with an already established flock, unless your coop is too small, I would expect this too go well.

Mrs K

Great! It is a new coop with plenty of room. I don't have any other chickens.
Just out of curiosity, how big is the coop and run, sq’ by sq’? Did you buy it already made, or build it yourself? This will be a much easier transition if you don’t have other chickens. So all you really need to do is what @Mrs. K said.

I would strongly advise to treat for internal and external parasites prior to moving them to your coop. Or else they might just spread whatever they will bring with them in no time.

We're planning to buy a pre-built kit. I'm not sure of the measurements. We have a very large area for their run. It is bigger than an average yard. Thanks for all the advice.
I would strongly advise to treat for internal and external parasites prior to moving them to your coop. Or else they might just spread whatever they will bring with them in no time.
Great advice! So much to think about.

Back
Top Bottom