Advice for sleeping in hodgepodge run/coop

Here's the anti-dig apron on my new coop:

View attachment 2859309

18+ inches of hardware cloth laid flat on the ground and held down with landscape staples so that grass can grow through it.
This is helpful! I have large rocks on both sides of the run area to stop digging but this would be better!

This is helpful! I have large rocks on both sides of the run area to stop digging but this would be better!

The problem with using rocks or pavers is that a determined digger will back up to the edge of the solid object and dig under it.

But they don't understand why they can't dig through the wire they can't see and don't understand that it has an edge.

I have a hodge podge setup, too, with small coops in a big secure run. They use the coops as nest boxes, so I provided a lot of branches up high for them. A lot of people use 2x4's or other lumber for roosts, but I like to use the natural shapes and textures and let the birds choose which spot is just right.

I am in CA, too, with similar temps (Nevada County). I love the idea of an open coop! I really like your set up, honesty! I have a big shed I converted for my 12 chickens and 5 ducks, but what you have is great!

However, I agree about making it more predator proof. Chicken wire won't stop a raccoon or any other determined predator, like dog, bobcat, coyote... If they aren't sleeping in closed coops, you really should beef it up. But I totally 8nderstand about added expense. I've shelled out some serious ducats to keep my flock safe - more than spent my goats, even! You might check Craigslist or FB Marketplace for woven wire or hardware cloth. I find the darnedest stuff on CL.

I am in CA, too, with similar temps (Nevada County). I love the idea of an open coop! I really like your set up, honesty! I have a big shed I converted for my 12 chickens and 5 ducks, but what you have is great!

However, I agree about making it more predator proof. Chicken wire won't stop a raccoon or any other determined predator, like dog, bobcat, coyote... If they aren't sleeping in closed coops, you really should beef it up. But I totally 8nderstand about added expense. I've shelled out some serious ducats to keep my flock safe - more than spent my goats, even! You might check Craigslist or FB Marketplace for woven wire or hardware cloth. I find the darnedest stuff on CL.
Thank you! I added hardwire a few weeks ago and some plastic over that as well for weather coming in! I still worry they will be cold but these girls really like sleeping on top of coops! Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom