Advice for starting a hatchery or a egg buisness

CandCpoultry101

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2016
Hi,I am looking for advice on starting a small hatchery or egg buisness or both.I would love lots of advice and best place to buy parent stock,best egg laying breeds and most popular,Heritage breeds,large breeds I guess,to sell chicks from.and best egg laying breeds

Here are some tips for starting your business!
1. Make sure this is really something you want to do, and that you are willing to invest your time and possibly money into this.
2. Check out your local laws about chicken keeping and egg selling
3. For chicken breeds, go local. Pick a list of about 20 different breeds that you have read or heard are good layers, and then go scouting around local farms and hatcheries for any chicks of those breeds. That way, you have less decision making to do.
4. Decide how you plan to sell- at a local farmer's market, at your home, through a local health food store, etc. Also consider how you are going to package your eggs.
5. http://www.hobbyfarms.com/start-a-successful-egg-business-that-makes-you-money-3/ That's a helpful website that might give you some ideas.

The breeds I'm thinking of are ,barred rock,white rock,black astrolope,Americana,road island red,Delaware,black sex link,red sex link golden comet and New Hampshire red,black copper marans because I already have them and leghorns.i think that sounds pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom