Looking for Flock Recommendations: Barnevelders, Basques or Swedish Flowers?

I have Basque hens and love them, but they are still babies (just started laying last month). My roos were very varied - one with hormone overload at 8 weeks old, crowing and trying to mount his brooder mates, one middle of the road, and one who was very gentle and calm. Kept the calm one and he was promising (just lost him though 😢).
The hens are similar, one more assured one very calm, easy to pick up, sociable, one middle of the road. Overall they are calm and good foragers.
Thank you for your reply! I’m so sorry to hear you lost your cockerel though :hugs

I had read that the hens are extremely sweet, but the roosters can be variable in temperament. It’s nice to have someone’s personal experience to confirm! I think they’re such beautiful birds. Do you have any pictures of yours?

Hi, I know you said you are not considering EE because of a tendency to cross beak but I just have to put a word in here in their defense. We have had EE for the last 13 years and this is the first I've ever heard of this being a problem in this breed .. oops, technically not a breed, but anyway ... we've never had a problem with any of ours. I love these hens and if you ever want to know why, please feel free to ask, I will never be without them!

Thank you for your response! I only learned that cross beak is a problem with EEs when reading Meyer Hatchery’s return/refund policy. Here is what they say:

Easter Eggers do have a genetic predisposition for cross beak and parrot beak, and Meyer hatchery, therefore, extends our beak defect reporting timeframe to 6 weeks for this breed only. We are actively working on improving our bloodlines for Easter Eggers, as well as our breeding flocks as a whole.”

On the anecdotal side, I have seen more instances on here and on YouTube of EEs with cross beak than any other breed, but until I read the above quote I assumed it was just that I was seeing more EEs than other breeds in general, since they’re so popular.

I have heard that they are very sweet birds, and I absolutely love the look of the classic Easter Eggers with muffs and beards. They have such gorgeous colorations as well as eggs! I’ve never heard of anyone who dislikes their EEs, and I’m sure I would love them if I had some. They are a breed I truly did want to own.

The issue is, I’m honestly a bit too soft hearted to keep chickens. I’m not going to handle it well if I get a sick chick that I need to cull, but now that I’ve started raising chickens there’s no going back. They’re bring such joy to my life that I can no longer live without them! Thus, I’m just trying to protect myself from heartbreak by avoiding breeds with known problems. It may be something only Meyer Hatchery deals with, but since I’m going to order from them, I’ve decided to seek out other breeds. There are luckily so many lovely ones to choose from!

Thank you for your response! I only learned that cross beak is a problem with EEs when reading Meyer Hatchery’s return/refund policy. Here is what they say:

Easter Eggers do have a genetic predisposition for cross beak and parrot beak, and Meyer hatchery, therefore, extends our beak defect reporting timeframe to 6 weeks for this breed only. We are actively working on improving our bloodlines for Easter Eggers, as well as our breeding flocks as a whole.”

On the anecdotal side, I have seen more instances on here and on YouTube of EEs with cross beak than any other breed, but until I read the above quote I assumed it was just that I was seeing more EEs than other breeds in general, since they’re so popular.

I have heard that they are very sweet birds, and I absolutely love the look of the classic Easter Eggers with muffs and beards. They have such gorgeous colorations as well as eggs! I’ve never heard of anyone who dislikes their EEs, and I’m sure I would love them if I had some. They are a breed I truly did want to own.

The issue is, I’m honestly a bit too soft hearted to keep chickens. I’m not going to handle it well if I get a sick chick that I need to cull, but now that I’ve started raising chickens there’s no going back. They’re bring such joy to my life that I can no longer live without them! Thus, I’m just trying to protect myself from heartbreak by avoiding breeds with known problems. It may be something only Meyer Hatchery deals with, but since I’m going to order from them, I’ve decided to seek out other breeds. There are luckily so many lovely ones to choose from!
Thanks, I didn't know of this tendency either till you mentioned it. I'll watch for it. And you're absolutely right, having to put a chicken down is very hard. Only being able to tell myself it is the kindest option has enabled me to do it at all, and fortunately, it's been rare. In full disclosure though, I do have to say that we do eat our chickens, but we pay to have them processed. This is only because we did try doing it ourselves once, only to discover that we are absolutely incompetent at it (we're older and I for one am a city girl and he also has no experience at it). Best, for us, to let an experienced professional do it.

Thank you for your reply! I’m so sorry to hear you lost your cockerel though :hugs

I had read that the hens are extremely sweet, but the roosters can be variable in temperament. It’s nice to have someone’s personal experience to confirm! I think they’re such beautiful birds. Do you have any pictures of yours?
Thanks for the virtual hug. This loss was quite traumatic and I can’t even talk about it yet… he was such a cutie, and still so young.
Yes, variable is the word at least in my very limited experience! :D My Basque hens all seem very calm and self assured around me, and one of them is sweet as pie. Here are some pictures. I love their looks, beautiful feathers.
0C792094-A8E8-4956-A1B9-101CC55D7354.jpeg
A118960C-F397-4292-905F-A4C1289046D8.jpeg
96856715-FB10-44B2-97FE-CCEB2D3B4650.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the virtual hug. This loss was quite traumatic and I can’t even talk about it yet… he was such a cutie, and still so young.
Yes, variable is the word at least in my very limited experience! :D My Basque hens all seem very calm and self assured around me, and one of them is sweet as pie. Here are some pictures. I love their looks, beautiful feathers.
View attachment 3713106View attachment 3713109View attachment 3713108

They’re all absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for the pictures! :love

@Perris

I’ve been considering Penedesencas, and saw that you made this post in their breed focus thread. If you’re willing, I’d love to hear what their temperament is like, how assertive they are in regard to pecking order, and how the roosters behave toward humans and hens. Do you like them as much as your Swedish Flowers?

@Perris

I’ve been considering Penedesencas, and saw that you made this post in their breed focus thread. If you’re willing, I’d love to hear what their temperament is like, how assertive they are in regard to pecking order, and how the roosters behave toward humans and hens. Do you like them as much as your Swedish Flowers?
They fit in well with the rest of the flock, and the 3 females have assumed higher rank than other hens of the same age, but they don't challenge older hens and they aren't mean to youngsters, so their assertiveness is modest. Two of the males didn't survive to maturity and the third succumbed to the same illness a little later, but they were all no trouble to people or the rest of the flock. The one that made it to maturity sired quite a few youngsters by multiple hens, so he was popular, and his offspring have all turned out to be excellent additions to the flock. They are not as pretty as the Swedish Flowers, but they are just as good as free-rangers and foragers, and the hybrids have real vigour. My current dom is one of his kids out of the top hen (who is an Araucana) and this year's chicks include some by Penedesenca hens, so they are 75% Penny and that line is remaining reasonably strong, and independent of the Swedish Flowers. The SFHs here have never gone broody while 2 of the 3 Penny hens have - and they have both been excellent broodies too. So, they both have good things to offer in a free range setting.

They fit in well with the rest of the flock, and the 3 females have assumed higher rank than other hens of the same age, but they don't challenge older hens and they aren't mean to youngsters, so their assertiveness is modest. Two of the males didn't survive to maturity and the third succumbed to the same illness a little later, but they were all no trouble to people or the rest of the flock. The one that made it to maturity sired quite a few youngsters by multiple hens, so he was popular, and his offspring have all turned out to be excellent additions to the flock. They are not as pretty as the Swedish Flowers, but they are just as good as free-rangers and foragers, and the hybrids have real vigour. My current dom is one of his kids out of the top hen (who is an Araucana) and this year's chicks include some by Penedesenca hens, so they are 75% Penny and that line is remaining reasonably strong, and independent of the Swedish Flowers. The SFHs here have never gone broody while 2 of the 3 Penny hens have - and they have both been excellent broodies too. So, they both have good things to offer in a free range setting.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your insight! I’ve chosen breeds that are generally not very dominant, so I’m worried about upsetting the flock dynamics if I added in more assertive birds. It’s nice to know your Penedesencas are respectful to the older hens, and that your boy was popular with the ladies. I have a Welsummer, and really like her partridge coloring, which is why I started looking into Pennies — not to mention the eggs and the foraging abilities. My Wellie is wonderful and likes to forage, but she is also a bit lazy and the first one to return to the run to rest. Maybe that’s just because she’s top of the pecking order and can lounge as she pleases, lol, but I imagine Penedesencas are probably much more active. I think I’ll have to get one! Thanks again! 😁

Back
Top Bottom