Looking for Flock Recommendations: Barnevelders, Basques or Swedish Flowers?

Winderdear

Crowing
Jun 16, 2023
I have previously extolled the virtues of autosexing breeds, thinking I had found the best way to avoid unexpected cockerels. I still think it’s the best plan theoretically, but now I’m realizing I won’t be able to stick to it, or rather, I’ve already unintentionally deviated from it.

I have four pullets close to laying now that are (I thought) considered autosexing breeds, which I purchased from Meyer Hatchery: a Cuckoo Marans, a Blue Cuckoo Marans, a Welsummer and a Dominique. I emailed Meyer today asking for a list of their autosexing and sex-linked breeds so I could plan a future order. It turns out that the only breed they carry that they consider autosexing is their Cream Legbars, though they said Barred Rocks and Dominiques are also somewhat easy to determine at hatch by coloring. I guess three of my four girls were solely determined by vent sexing. :th

Since I want to use Meyer again, as I had a great experience the first time, receiving beautiful healthy chicks within 24 hours of shipping, I would like to make another purchase of 4 chicks through them with a similar hatch date in June. I want another Dominique, because mine is so friendly and well adapted to our climate, and I’d like a Cream Legbar since I want a healthy blue egg layer (I’ve read on Meyer’s site that EEs are somewhat prone to cross beak so I’m avoiding them), but that leaves two more pullets. Since I’m not stuck on autosexing breeds, I have more choices than before.

I’m looking for breeds that can handle hot humid summers (my Marans aren’t very good with the heat), but also potentially below 0°F winters. It’s rare but it does happen. I care way more about health and longevity of the bird than egg production, as well as easy-going birds that aren’t very dominant. I don’t mind broodies. Good foraging abilities to keep feed costs lower would also be nice. I’d like them all to be standard rather than bantam, since they’re easiest to sex.

With all this taken into account, I’m drawn to Barnevelders, Swedish Flower Hens, and Basque Hens.

Does anyone know of any reason why these breeds would be a bad idea as an addition to my flock? Any experience with their temperament or place in the hierarchy? Any predisposition to bullying? Does anyone have experience with roosters of these breeds? How do they treat the hens? Are they respectful to humans? Do they seem like they’d be difficult to give away to a good home, should the need arise? I know that all chickens are individuals, but I’d still like to hear people’s experiences. 😊

Feel free to suggest other breeds from Meyer that you think I should consider too!

The one breed of those 3 I have experience with is the barnevelder. Here they are winter hardy. They don't lay a lot, but their eggs are beautiful dark brown and they have been long lived here. The two roosters I had were quite docile, and beautiful, and we're good with the hens. As long as you aren't looking for high production they are a perfect breed. Photos do not do them justice. I love their beautiful lacing.

The one breed of those 3 I have experience with is the barnevelder. Here they are winter hardy. They don't lay a lot, but their eggs are beautiful dark brown and they have been long lived here. The two roosters I had were quite docile, and beautiful, and we're good with the hens. As long as you aren't looking for high production they are a perfect breed. Photos do not do them justice. I love their beautiful lacing.
Thanks for replying! I’m glad to hear your boys were docile and good with the hens. I’m definitely fine with not laying a lot, in fact I think I would prefer it (to an extent, I do want an occasional egg, lol). I have always thought Barnevelders were one of the most beautiful breeds of chickens. I know you said photos don’t do them justice, but I’d love to see a picture of your hens and roosters if you don’t mind sharing!

Of the three breeds in contention, I can speak for Swedish Flowers. Had them since 2017 and they form the core of my flock of 20+. I recommend them without reservation. Great temperaments in males and females (no bullies), great foragers and free-rangers (predator aware), disease-resistant, solid layers of c. 200 eggs / year and my 6 year old hen still laid about 100 eggs this year, plus all her eggs set to hatch last year and this were fertile. None of my SFH females has gone broody as yet, which surprises me, but there are plenty of other hens in the flock who do and who have incubated their eggs and raised their chicks, so they don't need to here. And they are gorgeous to watch rummaging around in the garden. E.g. this is the 6 year old and one of her sons last year
DSC01030.JPG

I have seven adult Barnevelders at the moment. All of them just turned one but so far my boys have been very well behaved. They mix in with my Sussex well and the boys don't cause issues with the sussex roosters.
I've had no bullying from any of them, in fact my little wry neck hen who was injured a few weeks back refused to stay seperated from the rest. She was back living with them with a partially healed wound no problems (not overly visible but certainly still noticable). Even the fact she is wry neck has never resulted in bullying from anyone.

Of the three breeds in contention, I can speak for Swedish Flowers. Had them since 2017 and they form the core of my flock of 20+. I recommend them without reservation. Great temperaments in males and females (no bullies), great foragers and free-rangers (predator aware), disease-resistant, solid layers of c. 200 eggs / year and my 6 year old hen still laid about 100 eggs this year, plus all her eggs set to hatch last year and this were fertile. None of my SFH females has gone broody as yet, which surprises me, but there are plenty of other hens in the flock who do and who have incubated their eggs and raised their chicks, so they don't need to here. And they are gorgeous to watch rummaging around in the garden. E.g. this is the 6 year old and one of her sons last year
View attachment 3684788
Your Swedish Flowers are so beautiful! Thank you for sharing your experience with them, and the picture! I have heard really good things about SFHs being healthy and long lived, but wasn’t sure of their temperament, particularly the boys. They seem like the perfect chicken for me, based on your account of their merits. Oh this is such a hard choice!

I have seven adult Barnevelders at the moment. All of them just turned one but so far my boys have been very well behaved. They mix in with my Sussex well and the boys don't cause issues with the sussex roosters.
I've had no bullying from any of them, in fact my little wry neck hen who was injured a few weeks back refused to stay seperated from the rest. She was back living with them with a partially healed wound no problems (not overly visible but certainly still noticable). Even the fact she is wry neck has never resulted in bullying from anyone.
That’s so wonderful to hear! Thank you so much for sharing! I secretly want a rooster, but am of course worried about them being overly enthusiastic or aggressive and hurting my girls. I’m hoping for all hens, but it’s a weight off my mind to hear that you and oldhenlikesdogs have had such good Barnevelder roosters!

View attachment 3684788
Where did you get your SFH, originally?

I have Basque hens and love them, but they are still babies (just started laying last month). My roos were very varied - one with hormone overload at 8 weeks old, crowing and trying to mount his brooder mates, one middle of the road, and one who was very gentle and calm. Kept the calm one and he was promising (just lost him though 😢).
The hens are similar, one more assured one very calm, easy to pick up, sociable, one middle of the road. Overall they are calm and good foragers.

Hi, I know you said you are not considering EE because of a tendency to cross beak but I just have to put a word in here in their defense. We have had EE for the last 13 years and this is the first I've ever heard of this being a problem in this breed .. oops, technically not a breed, but anyway ... we've never had a problem with any of ours. I love these hens and if you ever want to know why, please feel free to ask, I will never be without them!

Back
Top Bottom