advice from Postmaster on egg shipping

minikeeper1143

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Northeast Louisiana
I received eggs two days in transit from Oklahoma. The box was fine. The eggs were individually wrapped in an egg carton then lots of bubble wrap and packing . Two loose (well wrapped eggs) were fine.

Four eggs in the carton had been thrown so hard they obviously hit each other and crushed on that side. I reported it to the PO FYI and THE POST MASTER suggested it can be written on the outside of shipping boxes....FERTILE LIVE EGGS INSIDE..HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE. He said they do not limit your description and it would alert the workers to just how fragile they really are for handling and rapid delivery.

Just thought I would pass this along.

Last edited:
Does no good at all. I've gotten all manner of labels, from lengthy to concise. I'm thinking maybe a flat out lie would be best. Maybe if you label if "Fragile Glass". At least they know what glass is.

My UPS man said today, "is that a joke or is it really eggs?"

There were three dozen eggs in the box but due to excellent packing only
two eggs were broken. I told him I would be having more eggs coming and he said he would be more careful with the next package and then repeated again, "That's real eggs?"

I've had them written all kinds of ways on all sides of the box...doesn't help. I got 2 shipments recently, one just said "fragile" all over it. It was upside down on my porch. The other said "fragile" and "this end up". It was at least facing the right way!! I don't know if this means they can read, or if they just got lucky.

Both boxes had very nicely wrapped and insulated eggs so they survived. But I have had them come smashed even when the packaging was good.

i write on any piece of the box that i can.... never had a box damaged

ETA: I write live embryos on the box, fragile, and draw arrows up.

Last edited:
Quote:
Nope! Just shipped eggs to GracefulBantam and on every side, top and bottom I marked "Live Embryos" as well as "Hatching eggs, fragile handle with care". She got the eggs and said one of the corners of the box had been badly damaged, one cracked egg out of 2 dozen.

The only way I know of is if you pack in a box they can't run through the machines, one that has to be hand stamped. Not too many boxes that they can't fit through the machines.

Quote:
The Post Office Guy would probably shake it to see if embryos rattle, then x-ray it to see what embryos are made of.
barnie.gif

Write something like "test tube babies to be shipped to sterile mother, handle with care or shatter her dreams." That might work or scare the crud out of em. lol

It doesn't help at all. Actually my Post Master said write nothing on the outside of the box because some employees will be rougher on boxes marked fragile.

Most of the eggs I have ever recieved marked Fragile, live embroys, or hatching eggs were treated rougher than the plain boxes. Seems you might as well write "kick me I am a football on it if you put "fragile" on it.

Back
Top Bottom