Advice? Integrating Leghorns and Silkies

Loralye

Chirping
Apr 6, 2020
Hi,
I'm looking for some advice and reassurances....I raised 4 silkies and 3 cochins this year, but had to rehome 4 roosters... leaving me with 3 silkies, 3 months old.

I just integrated 2 Easter Eggers. 2 of the silkies are pecking the EE's any time they come near, my black silkie (might be a roo), sometimes chases them around and pecks. They aren't being very aggressive with their pecks though....from what I've seen. The silkies like to climb into the coop at night and cuddle right infront of the door blocking it, and won't let the EE's in, so I pick them up and put them in the coop (it's only night 2), the EE'S want to be part of the snuggle puddle, but aren't aloud apparently.

I'm sure they will work it out, there is something comical about the tiny silkies being the boss.... but what happens when I integrate my 2 rescued leghorns? They are much bigger than my silkies...all they've known is being neglected on a battery cage farm and being grabbed a few times...in my care now they are coming around, one even ate out of my hand for a second, but they are extremely timid.

I've read a lot of other people's experiences with mixed flocks without issues.... how can I make this transition smooth when I bring in the leghorns? They are currently in quarentine, their coop is a large dog carrier temporarily, but maybe when I move them to the run/coop with the others I should let them have the dog carrier as their coop option at first? My coop is raised so I could put the dog carrier underneath....

If the leghorns wanted to I'm sure they could do some serious damage to my silkies, given they are double the size... who knows though, maybe my silkies will still be the alphas?

Seems like you're taking all the right precautions. Quarantine was an excellent move.

The best way to integrate new members is by using the 'see-no-touch' method. By keeping them separated from the flock, you'll avoid any physical confrontations but still have the ability to see each other.

The way you go about this method is up to you. You could build a temporary run outside the main one, or even within if you have space. The point of this segregated section is to give your chickens time to see one another without injury. When you let them out, they'll likely still be scruffles within the flock. Let them figure out their pecking order. I would only intervene if there is an injury.

Space is the most important factor here! Once your birds are released, they'll need enough space in case they need to avoid confrontations. Add spots were they can hide or fly up if things get too crazy. Multiple water dishes and feeders is a good idea to ensure everyone is getting food.

As with roosting, it's always hectic, especially when new birds arrive. Again, space is very important. Sorry if I'm not understanding but your silkies don't roost? Do they just cuddle on the floor? I would encourage them to roost if that's the case, perhaps that'll solve your problems.

I've only had experienced with bantam silkie roosters. They look innocent and sweet but they are furious little things. They are on top of everyone but the alpha rooster, who they challenge from time to time. It's hard to predict how the dynamic of your flock will change, only time will tell.

Seems like you're taking all the right precautions. Quarantine was an excellent move.

The best way to integrate new members is by using the 'see-no-touch' method. By keeping them separated from the flock, you'll avoid any physical confrontations but still have the ability to see each other.

The way you go about this method is up to you. You could build a temporary run outside the main one, or even within if you have space. The point of this segregated section is to give your chickens time to see one another without injury. When you let them out, they'll likely still be scruffles within the flock. Let them figure out their pecking order. I would only intervene if there is an injury.

Space is the most important factor here! Once your birds are released, they'll need enough space in case they need to avoid confrontations. Add spots were they can hide or fly up if things get too crazy. Multiple water dishes and feeders is a good idea to ensure everyone is getting food.

As with roosting, it's always hectic, especially when new birds arrive. Again, space is very important. Sorry if I'm not understanding but your silkies don't roost? Do they just cuddle on the floor? I would encourage them to roost if that's the case, perhaps that'll solve your problems.

I've only had experienced with bantam silkie roosters. They look innocent and sweet but they are furious little things. They are on top of everyone but the alpha rooster, who they challenge from time to time. It's hard to predict how the dynamic of your flock will change, only time will tell.

Thank you! That is all great advice. I was just reading up on it a bit as well. I should have paced myself with introducing the EE'S.... oh well, now I know better for when it is time to introduce my leghorns.

Yeah, my silkies have been sleeping as a cuddle puddle on the floor right infront of the door forever, there was 7 doing it, but last week 4 roos were rehomed....and apparently the EE'S were doing the same thing at their last home, they kept trying to snuggle under the silkies, but the silkies weren't having any part in that....I felt so bad that I climbed into the coop and cuddled one of the EE'S for a bit haha. My silkie Pompom is the most docile little thing, I swear she's a bantam, absolutely tiny, but man did this bring out some attitude in her, she was even pecking at me! If they do put the leghorns in their place it will be something to catch on video for sure haha

Thanks though. Hopefully it all goes smooth. I have a week or two to figure out the logistics :) by then the silkies and EE's will mellow out too

Back
Top Bottom