advice needed: Culling out bad genetics in my flock.

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
We are in a bit of a downhill slid. A couple years ago I introduced Marans to my flock. I paid premium prices but these are not premium birds. I have had nothing bug genetic issues in my hatches and birds with a weak immune system. Egg bound and sour crops too. Only ever with the marans. All my other birds are fine. Problem is as older birds passed I have kept up my numbers with marans. Great layers but gah always something wrong. Every hatch I will lose about half of those egg that hatch. Crossed beaks and deformaties.

So My maran roo is meeting mr axe and the girls will slowly be phased out. I plan for now to focus on the full blooded ones and let the mix breeds be. It seems with the mixing I still get a fair bird. I think. Should I consider weeding these out too? I think I need to start over a bit. Opinions on better breeds. I do have a breeding trio of lavender orps that I was considering putting in the breeding coop.

I think you're right on the money there... Weed them out. Personally I wouldn't persevere with them, even if the half-breds looked alright, you don't want that stuff persisting indefinitely into your (and their) futures.

What a terrible bunch you must have gotten, that sounds a bit steep!

If you still like Marans, surely a better breeder can supply you with truly quality birds. Your experience there sounds a bit extreme, I don't think you're too likely to repeat it. But I'd totally understand if you could no longer stomach the sight of them, lol.

Best wishes.

I think you're right on the money there... Weed them out. Personally I wouldn't persevere with them, even if the half-breds looked alright, you don't want that stuff persisting indefinitely into your (and their) futures.

What a terrible bunch you must have gotten, that sounds a bit steep!

If you still like Marans, surely a better breeder can supply you with truly quality birds. Your experience there sounds a bit extreme, I don't think you're too likely to repeat it. But I'd totally understand if you could no longer stomach the sight of them, lol.

Best wishes.

I must agree. Sometimes, you have to just wipe the slate clean.

It sounds like you're not 100% truly settled, in love with a specific breed, but want to have a breeding program to produce some quality birds of a specific breed. What are your criteria for what makes the perfect bird FOR YOU? Take that info, and do a search of the breed options available, then when you narrow down your choices, check out the breed clubs for those breeds. Hopefully, you can find a breeder near by who has a strong healthy gene pool for you to draw from.

I can't imagine having all those problems
sad.png
. With all those issues, I wouldn't even keep them as mixes. Get rid of them, and good riddance. Start over with some healthy stock.

You like chicken? LOL! I'm sorry but those should all be turned into food, you don't even want to sell them.

So odd, Donrae and I were just talking on a pm, how sometimes you think you are going to like a breed, and then you don't. With me, it was domminiques. I was sure that was the way to go..... but I really don't like them. I agree with the others, cull and replace, I am thinking strongly of going back to more BO flock. I have never tried the darker colored ones, but think I will next year.

Anytime people breed to enhance a single trait such as the chocolate brown eggs, a lot of deformities show up.

I did try Sandhills preservation for some higher quality birds a couple of years ago and was pleased.

Mrs K

Last edited:
So odd, Donrae and I were just talking on a pm, how sometimes you think you are going to like a breed, and then you don't. With me, it was domminiques. I was sure that was the way to go..... but I really don't like them. I agree with the others, cull and replace, I am thinking strongly of going back to more BO flock. I have never tried the darker colored ones, but think I will next year.

Anytime people breed to enhance a single trait such as the chocolate brown eggs, a lot of deformities show up.

I did try Sandhills preservation for some higher quality birds a couple of years ago and was pleased.

Mrs K
Very true. I did not care for the Speckled Sussex I had, though I thought I'd love them. Didn't much care for the personalities of the Welsummers, either. They were just bland to me. I accidentally ended up with two Barred Rock pullets (long story) though I had not planned to get them and I fell in love with them; now, they are my favorite. So, you have to try things to know what you like and what works for you.
smile.png
There's a chicken breed for everyone.

Mrs K

Mrs. K, just out of curiosity, what were your issues with the Dominique's? I'm new to the chicken world, so my experience is minimal.

I also wanted to say that you can have a bad experience with hatchery stock and then get the same breed, the true breed as it was meant to be from good stock, heritage lines if it's a heritage breed, and have an entirely different experience with them. I did with Delawares. So, it may not be the breed, per se, but the quality of what you get as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom