Advice needed for my rooster and hen with controlled reproduction.

I have 11 chicken eggs in my incubator right now. It's a homemade incubator. Yesterday i had an ordeal when my cat decided that the chicken nest was a litter box!!!!!! There was only one egg because i ate the other 5 2 days earlier!!!!!
wink.png

Quote:
We have three spare ribs pork chop and ham bone last year we had two named bacon and sausage (it helps the kids not to get too attached if we name them after food so they know we will be eating them). Last year was some of the best pork I have ever had. Very little fat in the sausage and bacon and the meat tasted divine. They don't over salt it either when they smoke the hams and sausage so it's amazing. We are still using up what we have left from last year and our pigs this year will be going in October. They live in a 5 acre pasture with goats sheep and chickens. They have gotten attached to one of the male goats and he will call to them and they all come running. It's the funniest thing to watch. They are definitely happy pigs though rather than being cooped up and disgusting. I love it that way.

yes-sounds lovely. It sure makes for a lot of food too. Do you enjoying cooking. I do. It sounds like you have a very nice place.

I love cooking my new hobby is looking for Dual Purpose Chicken recipes so I can start compiling ones that will work with chickens that might be older. My family makes good test subjects because they love to eat and I love to cook so it's a good combination lol.

LilyD - If you have a pressure-canner, canned chicken is great! We canned our older laying hens last winter. The meat gets very tender when you can it. It's great over rice, in soup or stew, drained to make chicken salad... Very versatile.

Quote:
Sounds really good I do have a pressure canner. I can all my own veggies and fruits throughout the summer as well as jellies and tomato sauce. I have never tried canning meat though. I will have to pull out my book and check out the times for meats
big_smile.png
droolin.gif

Quote:
Sounds really good I do have a pressure canner. I can all my own veggies and fruits throughout the summer as well as jellies and tomato sauce. I have never tried canning meat though. I will have to pull out my book and check out the times for meats
big_smile.png
droolin.gif

Yes! Get the book, follow the directions. I usually bone out the bird so you have room for more meat in the jar. Usually we just breast them and take the legs and thighs. Our cats and the local wildlife enjoy the carcasses (we dump them in the field far from the house). Enjoy!

Quote:
yes-sounds lovely. It sure makes for a lot of food too. Do you enjoying cooking. I do. It sounds like you have a very nice place.

I love cooking my new hobby is looking for Dual Purpose Chicken recipes so I can start compiling ones that will work with chickens that might be older. My family makes good test subjects because they love to eat and I love to cook so it's a good combination lol.

Me too. I love to cook. I could not eat my animals because they are my pets and friends to me. I really bond with them and they follow me around. It's very cute. But it is SO nice to hear how kind you raise your animals. I really liked the pictures of the pigs. If you have more pictures to share that would be nice too.
smile.png
. I put a picture of my pig Burt and one of my silkie grey chicks in my picture. They like to run under his belly. My female silkie is all black and the male is grey.

I will have to take some new pictures this computer doesn't have any recent ones lol only baby pictures because my computer crashed recently.

I told my husband two years ago that we were going to eat humanitarian he gave me a weird look and I told him we wouldn't eat any meat that wasn't humanely treated. We can go to our local butcher and get beef that has been grass fed and we raise our own pigs, sheep, goats and chickens to eat as well as for cheese and eggs. So from now on no grocery store for us just home.

I thought I would have the same problem and I wouldn't be able to eat them but I like knowing that they had fun and were well treated before they became food. I can't say that for stuff I buy at the store.

Burt is so cute is he a pot belly pig? I do think that pigs are very friendly and a lot like dogs but usually with the yorkshires by the end of a year they really need to go because they are almost as tall as a horse. It's kind of scary.

I often wounderd this myself. So now i'm not worried.. i was going to have chicken's that were not with a roo. and chicks that were. so I could have baby's and "eggs" but hearing this. that if i Just go take the eggs straight away and not "incubate" it will be fine

now what do i look for to know its a fertil egg? I know when i crack open a egg. I see some white (not the yolk). what is that in the store bought eggs?
I'm currious.. I've never ever eaten fresh eggs from the chicken. and I normaly have to keep at least 2 18 packs of eggs in my fridge for my kids.. 4 out of 5 of my kids are French toast FREEKS!! and they Have to have a pile of scramble eggs with their french toast..

gonna be nice when My Chicks are grown. and I have more then 1 egg layer. to scrambe up some fresh eggs, I just can't tell my kids that.. They will flip out thinking we are eating baby chicks!!!

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what that white spot is, but I do know that if that spot looks like a bulls eye, it's fertile. There's some pictures around here on a couple threads showing the difference. What you describe isn't a fertile egg.

It's really funny what people will tell you about fertile eggs. Think of them like seeds. Some are viable and some are not. The viable ones can grow, but only under specific conditions that are not met by leaving them on the table or in a fridge.

Back
Top Bottom