Advice needed on cross beak rooster

Wi_Pida

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Gresham, Wisconsin
I rescued this little frizzle guy tonight. He is very underweight, dehydrated and has an extreme case scaly leg mites. I know I have my work cut out for me but him and his gals tugged on my heart strings.

I've never dealt with cross beak before, I know his top beak need trimming but do I also trim his lower beak? It's very long and dry as is his tongue.

I've been told to feed him cat food to help fatten him up but add water to it to make it easier to eat and baby food. I'm going to start treating him tomorrow morning for the scaly leg mites and possible lice, other mites and worms.

Am I going about caring for him the correct way or is there something different or more I should do? Do I trim the lower beak or leave it? Any advice would be most welcome.
20201119_191146~2.jpg
20201119_190840.jpg
20201119_190827.jpg

I rescued this little frizzle guy tonight. He is very underweight, dehydrated and has an extreme case scaly leg mites. I know I have my work cut out for me but him and his gals tugged on my heart strings.

I've never dealt with cross beak before, I know his top beak need trimming but do I also trim his lower beak? It's very long and dry as is his tongue.

I've been told to feed him cat food to help fatten him up but add water to it to make it easier to eat and baby food. I'm going to start treating him tomorrow morning for the scaly leg mites and possible lice, other mites and worms.

Am I going about caring for him the correct way or is there something different or more I should do? Do I trim the lower beak or leave it? Any advice would be most welcome.View attachment 2418033View attachment 2418034View attachment 2418035

Oh, it does look like you have your work cut out for you! Poor little guy! I have never dealt with that before either but if I was you I would probably trim his lower beak, but maybe use a rotary dog nail file so you don’t trim too much or accidentally crack his beak, that’s what I’ve used to file a too long or pointy beak. He really looks like he has an extreme cross beak! I hope somebody on here that has dealt with that before will be able to help you.

Oh, it does look like you have your work cut out for you! Poor little guy! I have never dealt with that before either but if I was you I would probably trim his lower beak, but maybe use a rotary dog nail file so you don’t trim too much or accidentally crack his beak, that’s what I’ve used to file a too long or pointy beak. He really looks like he has an extreme cross beak! I hope somebody on here that has dealt with that before will be able to help you.
I was thinking about using a Dremel or a course emery board to trim it. Do you think that would work? I figured it would be easier for Gizmo and I would be able to avoid cracking it.

I have a cross beak but not that bad. I feed her a mash made from chicken food mixed with water. I keep both her top and bottom beaks trimmed, make sure you don’t cut into the quick! Chickens beaks are like dog’s toenails. I’d definitely keep it that length.
Another thing, cross beaks can be genetic. I highly recommend not letting hens he mates with hatch eggs. You don’t want a bunch of cross beaks running around!

Back
Top Bottom