Advice needed on GP training

terrilhb

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Georgia
I am going to get a GP on either Saturday or Monday. He is 10 months old. I have been doing alot of research on them. Can anyone add any info on training them to take care of livestock. I have goats, chickens and guinea's. I am so excited I can not stand it. It is a rescue group in NC. We are getting him for free well the nice man is getting a few guinea's for him.
wee.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
:celebrate
celebrate.gif

What has he been exposed to if anything? Was he a pet or was he a guardian before? Supervised slow introduction..........don't just assume that if he's good with one critter he will be good for all, and remember that GP's are puppies until they are 2 years old....... training, training, training......
big_smile.png

yuckyuck.gif
. As far as I know none. The man that owned him just decided that he did not want him anymore. Poor boy. Training, Training I will remember that. Thanks

LGD's guard by instinct, not from training.

They either have it or they don't

All you can do is correct bad behavior and hope they figure out the rest on their own.

An older dog that's never been around livestock may never make a good guardian

Last edited:
LGD do have natural instinct, some more than others, but I still believe that training when first introduced to their charges is important too. Azland, my best guardian loves the animals but as a puppy he loved to grab my Pekin ducks tail and drag them around the yard... he never hurt them, but it could have led to it if I didn't teach him that it was not allowed. Rough play can turn into more serious situations, so I have and am training them they are not allowed to grab, paw, or really touch anything that is mine until they get older. Some LGD are great with one / or most types of animals but not all. that is why I suggested training... it may love goats but never have seen a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom