Advice needed on introducing new pullet to two others

SaraT

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Blacksburg, VA
I am new two chicken owning and after having my two new chicks for just three weeks I already decided I needed another one. All three are the same age, 2 months, and are from the same shipment which my friend raised through the heat lamp stage. Anyway, I was hoping I could just throw the new chick in with the other two, but no such luck.
sad.png
The 2 originals, a Barred Rock and a Red Star, went at the new chick, a Black Australorp, so I've had the Australorp separated for the last few days by wire in what will eventually be the nest boxes. I've noticed that when I let the chicks outside together the Barred Rock still goes after the new girl, but the Red Star doesn't anymore. The Barred Rock is definitely the dominant one, but I'm pretty sure the Red Star by herself would be okay with the new chick. So my question is does anyone have any experience or think it would be helpful to keep the Barred Rock separate and leave the Black Autralorp in with the Red Star?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated!

Give it a try - I think that might actually work, or you could separate for a while with some fencing/chicken wire or what-nots...

From what I've read...since the barred rock is the top chick right now it's just letting the new girl know it. I would just keep an eye on them when their together but they do have to work out their pecking order. Just my thinking.
big_smile.png

Quote:
The plan would be to just switch the Barred Rock with the new girl, so the Barred Rock would be in the nest box area and the new girl in the main part of the coop with the Red Star.

Quote:
This is what concerned me and might just be my inexperience, but the Barred Rock just kept going at the new girl. The new girl, the Black Australorp, never tried to fight back and would just end up cowering in the corner. I certainly hope my Barred Rock chick is not overly aggressive, but she is obviously very dominant. My hope was that in separating her for a few days that she would be in the "weak position" and maybe then the three of the would work it out whithout turning on the Black Austrolorp (also the smallest chick).

Thanks
Sara

You could also try putting the new girl in the coop after everyone has gone to bed. When they wake up in the morning * voila * new flock. I have read many accounts of this working, although you would still want to keep a close eye on things when you let them out in the morning.

Jen in TN

So, last night I went ahead and switched the BR, Zinnia with the new BA. So far so good. Zinnia is quite unhappy, but not too stressed. The other two get along fine, but haven't really buddied-up yet.

By the way, how's that moving chickens at night thing supposed to work. The new girl had a huge fit, I'm pretty sure she thought she was about to be eaten. Anyway, at least they go back to sleep fast.

Sara

Back
Top Bottom