Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by seramamama17, Mar 10, 2017.

1. seramamama17

seramamama17 Just Hatched

Mar 8, 2017
    Hudson, Florida
    Monday I found a chick (about 2 weeks old) that my hen was raising, well one day when I went into the coop I found the little chick cold and barely alive! I warmed him up (and keep him under a light in my bath tub) and he seemed to pop right back but not 100%. It has an eye that gets crusted shut and until today he had a silent peep now you can kinda hear it but its still pretty weak. Now I don't know what was wrong in the first place or if he is going to continue to survive. Now previous to this he had got fleas still finding something that works to get rid of them effectively. Anyone have any advise that will help my little chick.

2. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    I would take him to a vet. If he had fleas, he may well have contracted something from them. The vet could do tests etc and try and figure out what was wrong.

Good luck with your chick.

3. dlaplume2

dlaplume2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    If he still has fleas you should work on treating them. Make sure to treat the whole flock as well and the coup/run. Your feed and supply store should have stuff to do it.

I had a friend that I help treat with medicated Diatomaceous earth. Then I sprayed her coup and let it air out. All these supplies were recommended by my feed store and purchased from them. I am not sure what the age range is for it, but if the chick still has fleas and is being bitten it could become anemic.

4. seramamama17

seramamama17 Just Hatched

Mar 8, 2017
    Hudson, Florida
    Thank you I will start doing those things immedately

5. chickcraze

chickcraze Just Hatched

Mar 12, 2017
    California
    Hi everyone we have 16 baby chicks that are 4 days old and are doing great.We are first timers at this and our question is we would like to add 3 more chicks to the bunch tomorrow. I have been doing some reading that suggests to keep them separated for a few days in case of illness but my thing is I don't want to go through the hassle of having to purchase a set of everything all over again. Do you guys think it's really a bug deal to keep them separated?

6. NCcitychicken

NCcitychicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2015
    Salisbury nc

Personally I don't see a problem with it, I did the same thing a few days ago. I would be concerned if one of the new bunch looked sick. I really try to steer clear of sick chicks you could lose quite a few depending on what they have. It's a risk to bring in birds from a different place but not really a high probability imo. I give em medicated starter and some ground up boiled eggs occasionally. Also do electrolyte in the water for a while. Just do everything you can to give em a good start and they will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by